‘Could be literally the worst case scenario for all’ – City fans worried by Maddison’s injury during heavy final-day defeat
- Credit: Paul Chesterton/Focus Images Ltd
James Maddison's worrying injury is the main talking point for Norwich City fans this afternoon, despite a dreadful 5-1 defeat at Sheffield Wednesday on the final day of the Championship season.
Maddison limped off after treatment in just the 11th minute at Hillsborough and could only watch from the bench with his left leg in a brace as his team-mates fell 4-0 behind and were eventually beaten 5-1.
Atdhe Nuhui scored a hat-trick, with Fernando Forestieri and Frederico Venancio scoring the other goals for the Owls. Timm Klose had pulled a goal back late on but Nuhui completed his hat-trick with a penalty in injury-time.
The heavy defeat saw Daniel Farke's team slip two places to 14th in the final standings, thanks to Ipswich and Leeds both picking up points on the final day.
With Maddison expected to be sold for big money in the summer though, to allow City to continue the revamp of their squad, it was the sight of seeing the England Under-21 international on crutches at full-time which grabbed the real focus.
You may also want to watch:
• Take a look at some of the post-game reaction above
- 1 Revealed: Siblings' bodies were found after father's death
- 2 Body believed to be missing man found near Norfolk coast
- 3 'It did not deliver': Glamping site vows to improve after guests hit out
- 4 Neighbours of murdered woman tell of terrifying scene in close
- 5 Sales rep who died at nature reserve named at inquest
- 6 No-frills Norwich pub offers top-notch food and every dish is under £8
- 7 Covid infection rates plummet in Norfolk
- 8 Police name murder victim, who died of 'severe head injury'
- 9 Firefighters dash to tackle blaze at coastal holiday resort
- 10 Brother and sister found dead in their home are named