Shay Given would welcome Paul Lambert’s arrival at Aston Villa
Aston Villa goalkeeper Shay Given believes Paul Lambert would be 'a great appointment' should the Norwich City boss complete his move west.
On a day of rabid speculation over the hugely successful Canaries boss, Given's preparations in Italy with the Republic of Ireland's Euro 2012 squad were briefly interrupted by questions over the situation at Villa Park.
And the goalkeeper was clear on his feelings should Lambert be waiting when Given returns to pre-season training.
'If that's the case – I have no idea because I'm stuck in Italy somewhere and don't know what's going on at Aston Villa – but if Paul was to come in, it would be a great appointment because he's a fantastic manager,' Given told Sky Sports.
'At every club he's been at he has been going up all the time so hopefully, if they can get that done, it would be great news for the club.
You may also want to watch:
'The sooner the manager is in place for next season the better because there will be targets and players he wants to get in himself. The sooner that's done the better.'
- 1 Eagle-eyed plane spotter saves pilot's life
- 2 Former hunting lodge for sale for £1.695m with huge lake
- 3 Never mind the limo - aspiring farmer rides tractor to prom night
- 4 Park issues warning over bacteria which is toxic to dogs
- 5 Queues in Norwich as hundreds flock to cider and sausage festival
- 6 Incredible aerial photos show scale of Latitude Festival
- 7 'Too close to home': Neighbours' shock as body found at Mousehold Heath
- 8 City confirm midfielder exit
- 9 Truck stopped for 'unsecure load' during road check
- 10 Which? warning to avoid sun cream brand for children