Shambolic Carabao Cup second round draw causes confusion and laughter for Norwich City fans
- Credit: Paul Chesterton/Focus Images Ltd
Norwich City will host League One side Charlton Athletic in the second round of the Carabao Cup – but only after a shambolic televised draw caused great confusion.
The draw, shown on Sky Sports following Sunderland's 1-0 win at Bury in the first round, began with the southern section but saw the first four ties announced incorrectly.
QPR v Brentford, Crystal Palace v Ipswich and Watford v Bristol City were all originally announced with the other team at home and so was City's clash with Charlton.
The mistake was the rectified for the rest of the draw but those four ties were not clarified for around 15 minutes, during which a great deal of confusion and jokes started bouncing around social media.
Norwich will host Charlton though, in the week commencing Monday, August 21, which follows a trip to Aston Villa on Saturday, August 19 for the Canaries.
You may also want to watch:
Daniel Farke's side played Charlton recently in the penultimate match of their pre-season preparations, winning 2-0 at The Valley thanks to goals from Yanic Wildschut and Steven Naismith.
Karl Robinson's team subsequently thrashed Ipswich 6-1 in their final friendly and have won both their opening fixtures of the season, winning 1-0 at home to Bristol Rovers in the league and 2-1 at League Two side Exeter City in the first round of the Carabao Cup.
- 1 'Vindicated at last' - Pension compensation on the horizon for WASPI women
- 2 Police child safety team raid house to arrest man
- 3 Banham Poultry evacuated in suspected chemical incident
- 4 Latitude labelled 'Covid fest' by health boss as staff forced to isolate
- 5 Holiday park bosses pay tribute to 'popular' worker murdered in Norfolk village
- 6 'Destination' fish and chip restaurant for sale
- 7 New virus named after Norfolk village
- 8 Eleven people taken to hospital after Banham Poultry chemical spill
- 9 The 5 most viewed homes on the market in Norfolk last month
- 10 Lord mayor criticises campaigner in email - and mistakenly copies them in
The Canaries have faced the Addicks in the League Cup on four occasions in the past, winning all of the ties, all of which were in the second round and played over two legs – in 1981-82, with City winning 1-0 home and away, and 1991-92, when Norwich won 2-0 away and 3-0 at home.
CARABAO CUP SECOND ROUND DRAW
The second-round draw for the Carabao Cup, as verified by the EFL, is:
QPR v Brentford
Crystal Palace v Ipswich
Watford v Bristol City
Norwich v Charlton
Cheltenham v West Ham
Brighton v Barnet
Cardiff v Burton
Southampton v Wolves
Fulham v Bristol Rovers
MK Dons v Swansea
Birmingham v Bournemouth
Reading v Millwall
Carlisle v Sunderland
Bolton v Sheff Wed
Accrington v West Brom
Newcastle v Nottingham Forest
Leeds v Newport
Stoke v Rochdale
Huddersfield v Rotherham
Middlesbrough v Scunthorpe
Doncaster v Hull
Sheff Utd v Leicester
Aston Villa vs Wigan
Barnsley v Derby/Grimsby