Sergi Canos has been kept in the shade by Jacob Murphy’s form for Norwich City
- Credit: Paul Chesterton/Focus Images Ltd
Sergi Canos has been a victim of Jacob Murphy's stellar impact at Norwich City this season.
Canos is being strongly linked with a January transfer window exit and has this week 'liked' posts on Twitter which said Leeds United are interested in taking him to Elland Road.
The 19-year-old has made just one league start for the Canaries since his summer move from Liverpool, however, and was left out of the match day squad for the FA Cup third round tie against Southampton.
Brentford are also interested in the Spaniard, who spent last season on loan at Griffin Park. City boss Alex Neil would not be drawn on whether the Bees are keen to offer Canos an escape route but Murphy's impressive displays have pushed him down the pecking order. The 21-year-old academy product signed a new longer term deal before Christmas.
'It is nothing against Sergi, he is a good lad who trains well,' said Neil.
'Why has he not been involved? Jacob Murphy is what it is down to. You have one position wide on the right and I think he has been a stand out for us and his emergence has been excellent.
'He has six or seven goals and could have had more with the chances he has had, he averages about three or four shots per game, his pace is electric and, unfortunately for Sergi, Jacob has shown up really well.
You may also want to watch:
'His brother is just as capable and if I am being honest at the start of the season we didn't know if we could depend on them or not.
'We had two great prospects so we signed Sergi to complement that. I was hoping between the three of them could fulfil that void left by Nathan (Redmond) and Jacob stepped up to the plate.
- 1 Brother and sister found dead in their home are named
- 2 'It did not deliver': Glamping site vows to improve after guests hit out
- 3 Revealed: Siblings' bodies were found after father's death
- 4 Man jailed for stealing underwear and sex toy from village house
- 5 Body believed to be missing man found near Norfolk coast
- 6 Woman admits causing deaths of Norfolk couple in road crash
- 7 No-frills Norwich pub offers top-notch food and every dish is under £8
- 8 Sales rep who died at nature reserve named at inquest
- 9 Covid infection rates plummet in Norfolk
- 10 Why is it so difficult to buy bottled water?
'People might say Steven Whittaker has not played much but that is down to Ivo Pinto, Nelson Oliveira now instead of Cameron Jerome.
'I had a chat with Sergi before the cup game and he understands the situation. He just wasn't involved. Matt Jarvis was back in and we had Josh and Jacob in the squad.'