Sergi Canos cuts his Norwich City ties to sign for Brentford
- Credit: Paul Chesterton/Focus Images Ltd
Sergi Canos has sealed a permanent return to Brentford for an undisclosed fee, to cut short a frustrating spell at Norwich City.
The Spanish youngster has signed a four-and-a-half year deal after completing a heavily-touted move to Griffin Park on deadline night. Canos travelled to London earlier on Tuesday to undergo a medical and finalise personal terms on a reported £2.5m deal. Brentford also have an option to extend his contract until the summer of 2022.
The former Liverpool starlet made only six senior appearances for the Canaries, excluding the EFL Trophy campaign, following his summer move from Anfield after rejecting interest from Championship rivals Bristol City.
Alex Neil made it clear recently he was prepared to listen to offers for Canos after falling behind the Murphy twins on the right-hand side of Norwich's midfield.
'Sergi's development hasn't continued as much as he'd have liked here because of the emergence of Jacob Murphy, who's been excellent for us so far this season,' Neil told the club's official site. 'I think for Sergi there was a lot of frustration on his part, which you can understand. For him to develop, he needs to play games and we've got a good deal for both parties.'
Bees' head coach, Dean Smith, is delighted to recruit the ex-Barcelona youngster.
'Sergi, is a player and character that fits naturally into our dressing room,' he told the Bees' official site. 'After working with him last season, you can see what he brings to the group, and an infectious attitude to match. We are all very happy that the deal has been completed and we can all now work together to continue his development and enjoy the potential we all know he possesses.'
- 1 Major incident in city after reports of stabbing
- 2 Film crews for Paramount crime series to visit ANOTHER Norfolk village
- 3 Woman stabbed in neck and arm in city park
- 4 Six fire crews battle large field blaze in south Norfolk
- 5 Range Rover hit by train after straying onto level crossing
- 6 Revealed: Why wasps chase you and how to get rid of them this summer
- 7 Anger as 'rollercoaster' appears at bottom of woman's garden
- 8 Here's when parents can get complimentary tickets to BeWILDerwood
- 9 Woman in 50s arrested after house sealed off in quiet street
- 10 46-cabin holiday park proposed for Norfolk countryside