Senior Cup offers experience to Norwich City youngsters
Norwich City have confirmed they will enter a team in this season's Norfolk Senior Cup competition. The Canaries returned to the competition last season after a long absence and reached the semi-finals, where they were knocked out by eventual winners Dereham Town.
City will also compete in the Barclays Premier Reserve League this season and Academy boss Ricky Martin sees the Senior Cup as another opportunity to field the club's younger players.
'I'm pleased that we are taking part again after re-entering last year,' he said. 'With the addition of the reserve games this season it will be a slightly different squad this time, but it will give the lads the opportunity to play against senior players.'
Rounds one and two of the Norfolk Senior Cup Final have already been drawn, with the Canaries entering the competition in round four. They will play their games away from home - even if drawn at home the match will be played at the away club's ground - while the final will be played at Carrow Road on a date to be confirmed.
Norfolk FA chief executive Shaun Turner said: 'It is fantastic news for football in our county, to once again be welcoming Norwich City into the Senior Cup competition for the forthcoming season.
You may also want to watch:
'Last season, having the Canaries in the hat certainly added an extra bit of interest for all other competing teams and that will undoubtedly be the case again this time around. The result in last year's semi-final against Dereham may have surprised a few, but it showed the standard of senior football in Norfolk is high and we're hoping for an equally exciting competition in 2011-12.
'Whilst Norwich will play their games away from home, the club's willingness to continue to host this Final is great news for us and the competition as a whole.'
- 1 Revealed: Siblings' bodies were found after father's death
- 2 Body believed to be missing man found near Norfolk coast
- 3 Neighbours of murdered woman tell of terrifying scene in close
- 4 'It did not deliver': Glamping site vows to improve after guests hit out
- 5 Sales rep who died at nature reserve named at inquest
- 6 North Norfolk fish and chip shop among best in the country
- 7 Covid infection rates plummet in Norfolk
- 8 Police name murder victim, who died of 'severe head injury'
- 9 No-frills Norwich pub offers top-notch food and every dish is under £8
- 10 Firefighters dash to tackle blaze at coastal holiday resort