Scotland call-up for Norwich City duo Russell Martin and Steven Naismith
- Credit: Paul Chesterton/Focus Images Ltd
Scotland manager Gordon Strachan has included two Norwich City players in his squad for an upcoming World Cup qualifier against Malta.
Canaries defender Russell Martin and forward Steven Naismith have both been selected but full-back Steven Whittaker misses out and midfielder Graham Dorrans is not picked, as he recovers from a groin injury.
The duo are in a 27-man squad for the Scots' opening game of Group F of qualification for the 2018 World Cup in Russia, away in Malta on Sunday, September 4 (7.45pm UK time).
Scotland and Malta are in the same qualification group as England, as well as Slovakia, Slovenia and Lithuania.
Three former Canaries players are also named in the squad. Goalkeeper David Marshall, now of Cardiff City, winger Robert Snodgrass (Hull) and Beccles-born striker Chris Martin (Derby) have also been selected.
Brighton-born Russell Martin, who qualifies for Scotland through his father, has represented his adopted nation 25 times since making his debut in May 2011. City's club captain missed pre-season with a back problem and has been an unused substitute in three of their four Championship matches so far this season.
Former Kilmarnock and Rangers forward Naismith has been capped 43 times, scoring six goals. The 29-year-old has started all four of City's matches this season, scoring once.
- 1 Large aircraft in shape of whale spotted above Norfolk
- 2 Travellers set up 'unauthorised' camp in popular park
- 3 Why is Norfolk not introducing a hosepipe ban?
- 4 Massive care village and research park planned for edge of Norwich
- 5 Mods and rockers taking over Norfolk town for classic bike and scooter meet
- 6 City pub to reopen with new owners hoping to bring back 'good old days'
- 7 Norfolk attraction to hold its largest ever fireworks display
- 8 Rare sighting of Northern Lights captured above Norfolk
- 9 Woman filmed being raped while she was unconscious, court told
- 10 High Court threat to A47 dualling plan
Scotland squad: Craig Gordon (Celtic), Jack Hamilton (Hearts), David Marshall (Cardiff City); Christophe Berra (Ipswich Town), Gordon Greer (Blackburn Rovers), Grant Hanley (Newcastle United), Alan Hutton (Aston Villa), Russell Martin (Norwich City), Callum Paterson (Hearts), Andrew Robertson (Hull City), Kieran Tierney (Celtic); Ikechi Anya (Watford), Barry Bannan (Sheffield Wednesday), Oliver Burke (Nottingham Forest), Darren Fletcher (West Bromwich Albion), James Forrest (Celtic), James McArthur (Crystal Palace), Kevin McDonald (Fulham), John McGinn (Hibernian), Barrie McKay (Rangers), James Morrison (West Bromwich Albion), Matt Ritchie (Newcastle United), Robert Snodgrass (Hull City); Steven Fletcher (Sheffield Wednesday), Leigh Griffiths (Celtic), Chris Martin (Derby County), Steven Naismith (Norwich City)