Rumour Mill: Sevilla considering signing Norwich City midfielder Leroy Fer
- Credit: Twitter
Norwich City midfielder Leroy Fer has made the front page of one sports newspaper in Spain today, linking the Dutchman with a transfer to Spanish top flight side Sevilla.
Speculation about Fer leaving Carrow Road has increased in recent days, with national newspapers in England insisting Premier League new boys QPR are keen to sign the 24-year-old.
Sevilla finished fifth in the Primera Liga last season and won the Europa League, beating Benfica on penalties.
That means Europa League football for the Spanish side this season, as automatic Champions League qualification for the winners of the Europa League does not start until the end of this season.
The main photo on the front page of Estadio Deportivo features Fer celebrating the goal he scored for Holland at this summer's World Cup – the only game he played in before picking up a hamstring strain.
You may also want to watch:
The headline, translated into English, reads: 'Faced with the difficulty of closing other deals (like Charles Aránguiz who found it impossible to leave Brazil) Sevilla has its eyes on the Dutch midfielder from relegated Norwich.'
Aránguiz is a 25-year-old midfielder who started and finished all four of Chile's matches at the World Cup this summer, who were knocked out in a penalty shootout defeat to Brazil in the last-16.
- 1 Former hunting lodge for sale for £1.695m with huge lake
- 2 Eagle-eyed plane spotter saves pilot's life
- 3 'Too close to home': Neighbours' shock as body found at Mousehold Heath
- 4 Never mind the limo - aspiring farmer rides tractor to prom night
- 5 Town's long wait for new £37m bypass nearly over as funding agreed
- 6 Which? warning to avoid sun cream brand for children
- 7 'The vibe is good' - Return to normality on first day of Latitude Festival
- 8 Man suffers injuries after road rage assault near retail park
- 9 Thunderstorms set to put dampener on weekend
- 10 Park issues warning over bacteria which is toxic to dogs
Sevilla tried to sign the Chilean this summer but he decided to stay with Brazilian side SC Internacional.
Fer joined Norwich from FC Twente last summer for a fee in excess of £4.5m and made 29 Premier League appearances last season, scoring three goals.
Fer is yet to join up with the Canaries again following his summer exploits and injury problems. Recent links to QPR suggested a fee in the region of £6m could persuade City to let Fer leave.