Rumour Mill: Plymouth Argyle defender Ben Purrington reportedly being tracked by Norwich City
- Credit: PA Wire/Press Association Images
Norwich City may well be in the market for a left-back this summer, whether Plymouth Argyle youngster Ben Purrington will be the man targeted by the Canaries is a very different matter however.
The 19-year-old made just nine appearances for the League Two club last season – but that has not prevented HITC Sport from claiming City are interested in signing Purrington.
The website claim that Norwich are one of several Championship and Premier League clubs monitoring the Exeter-born defender's progress, who was nominated for the League Two Apprentice of the Year award.
Purrington did not feature for Plymouth towards the end of the season, last playing in February after falling out of favour with manager John Sheridan.
With Sheridan deciding to leave the Pilgrims following their defeat to Wycombe in the League Two play-off semi-finals, it would seem unlikely that any deal is close to being completed.
However that has not prevented HITC Sport from reporting: 'Purrington is only tied down to Plymouth for another year and the club are bracing themselves for offers for the talented full-back.
'Norwich are hoping to steal a march on their rivals after making an enquiry about the youngster, as they look to lure him to Carrow Road and build for life back in the big time following their Championship play-off final success.'
- 1 Driver caught hitting speeds of 119mph on A47
- 2 Can you answer these 10 GCSE questions designed for 16-year-olds?
- 3 Fake chefs deliver out-of-date lasagne to Carrow Road ahead of Spurs clash
- 4 Homes destroyed after blaze breaks out in terraced housing
- 5 Where the streets have no cars... the community that banned the school run
- 6 Investigation closed after cash stolen from popular attraction
- 7 Crash closes part of B1145 in west Norfolk
- 8 City burger joint takes beef off the menu
- 9 More cameras could be on way to fine law-breaking Norfolk motorists
- 10 Cyclist airlifted to hospital with serious injuries following incident
With Spanish left-back Javier Garrido leaving the Canaries this summer, there may be a left-back void to fill at Carrow Road.
City's FA Youth Cup winner Harry Toffolo may have something to say about that though, after a successful season on loan in League One with Swindon Town which saw him earn an England Under-20 call-up.