Rumour Mill: Norwich City’s record signing Ricky van Wolfswinkel offered Sporting Lisbon escape route
- Credit: Paul Chesterton/Focus Images Ltd
Norwich City's record-signing Ricky van Wolfswinkel could return to Sporting Lisbon on loan ahead of the new season.
The Dutch international is scheduled to link up with his parent club next week when the majority of Alex Neil's squad return from St George's Park, after French Ligue One club St Etienne opted not to take up an option to buy the striker following a season-long loan spell.
The 26-year-old moved to England from Sporting Lisbon for an initial reported fee of £8.5m in 2013, but scored only one goal in 27 appearances in a campaign which ended in the club's relegation from the top flight.
Now respected Portuguese newspaper, A Bola, claims van Wolfswinkel could be set for another extended stint away from Norwich, with Sporting a possible destination after a prolific spell in Portuguese football, where he scored 28 goals in 56 league appearances.
The paper reports initial contact has been made with van Wolfswinkel's representative, Louis Laros, to explore the possibility of a potential reunion based on a season loan move, with an option to buy. The Dutch international still has two years left on his existing Carrow Road deal.
You may also want to watch:
Neil has been linked with the likes of Dynamo Kiev frontman Dieumerci Mbokani, Blackburn's Rudy Gestede and Crystal Palace's Glenn Murray in recent days as he attempts to bolster his frontline for the Premier League kick-off.
- 1 Eagle-eyed plane spotter saves pilot's life
- 2 Former hunting lodge for sale for £1.695m with huge lake
- 3 Incredible aerial photos show scale of Latitude Festival
- 4 Never mind the limo - aspiring farmer rides tractor to prom night
- 5 Queues in Norwich as hundreds flock to cider and sausage festival
- 6 Park issues warning over bacteria which is toxic to dogs
- 7 City confirm midfielder exit
- 8 Risk of flooding in parts of region as storms slowly move in
- 9 City ready for Cantwell and Aarons end game
- 10 'Too close to home': Neighbours' shock as body found at Mousehold Heath