RUMOUR MILL: Norwich City’s Anthony Pilkington on Swansea City’s transfer radar
- Credit: Paul Chesterton/Focus Images Ltd
Norwich City midfielder Anthony Pilkington has been touted as a January transfer target for Premier League rivals Swansea City.
The 25-year-old Republic of Ireland international is scheduled to resume full training on Monday after a lengthy injury absence with a hamstring problem suffered in the November league defeat at Newcastle.
The Daily Mirror claimed on Sunday night Pilkington's versatility to operate on either flank could see him identified as a possible alternative for Swans' chief Michael Laudrup should he fail in moves for Blackpool's Thomas Ince and Manchester United's Wilfried Zaha. Pilkington had been linked to the Swans and Paul Lambert's Aston Villa on the eve of the January transfer window, although Chris Hughton was quick to dismiss that speculation.
Pilkington is one of City's established stars yet to pledge his future to the club after a number of his team mates agreed contract extensions over recent months, but Hughton insisted last month in the wake of those transfer reports that a fully-fit Pilkington is a key part of his plans.
'With Anthony it's been a difficult period for him this season where he's missed games and periods through injuries, but he is still a player we very much value and has served us very well,' said Hughton. 'When he's on the pitch and in good form, up to speed with the injuries, he's a very good player. So that's one situation we're very much conscious of. We continually assess all the players that here in terms of their contracts and we'll make what we feel are the right decisions.'
You may also want to watch:
- 1 Brother and sister found dead in their home are named
- 2 'It did not deliver': Glamping site vows to improve after guests hit out
- 3 Man jailed for stealing underwear and sex toy from village house
- 4 Woman admits causing deaths of Norfolk couple in road crash
- 5 Why is it so difficult to buy bottled water?
- 6 When are GCSE and A-level results out and how fair will grades be?
- 7 'She loved planting flowers' - Tributes left at home of woman found dead
- 8 Norwich City transfer rumours: Talks held with United full-back
- 9 Reward of £20,000 offered after theft of performance car worth £150,000
- 10 Revealed: Siblings' bodies were found after father's death