Rumour Mill: Norwich City ready to offer Gary Hooper as bait for Celtic’s Leigh Griffiths
- Credit: Paul Chesterton/Focus Images Ltd
Norwich City's striker search has switched north of the border with Celtic's prolific frontman Leigh Griffiths a possible option in a proposed move that could see Gary Hooper return to Parkhead in a swap deal.
The Daily Mirror claimed on Thursday evening City were keen on Griffiths, who scored twice in the Celts' 3-2 Champions League qualifying play-off, first leg victory against Malmo in Glasgow on Wednesday night.
Griffiths notched 20 goals in 42 appearances for the Scottish champions last season, and the 25-year-old former Livingston and Dundee striker has already had a spell previously in England at Wolves where he scored 13 goals in 31 appearances.
City failed with a bid for Wolves' highly-rated Benik Afobe in the last few days as Alex Neil aims to bring in a frontman ahead of the September 1 transfer deadline.
Hooper has been touted with a Carrow Road exit for most of the summer but Neil made it clear recently there had been no offers for the striker, who attained cult status at Parkhead during a successful stint that saw him score 63 league goals in 95 appearances as well as winning a Scottish league and cup double.
You may also want to watch:
- 1 Eagle-eyed plane spotter saves pilot's life
- 2 Former hunting lodge for sale for £1.695m with huge lake
- 3 Never mind the limo - aspiring farmer rides tractor to prom night
- 4 Town's long wait for new £37m bypass nearly over as funding agreed
- 5 'Too close to home': Neighbours' shock as body found at Mousehold Heath
- 6 Park issues warning over bacteria which is toxic to dogs
- 7 Queues in Norwich as hundreds flock to cider and sausage festival
- 8 Which? warning to avoid sun cream brand for children
- 9 'The vibe is good' - Return to normality on first day of Latitude Festival
- 10 City confirm midfielder exit