Rumour mill: Chelsea renew interest in Norwich City keeper John Ruddy
- Credit: Paul Chesterton/Focus Images Ltd
Speculation linking Norwich City keeper John Ruddy with a potential move to Chelsea has resurfaced again overnight.
The Canaries' number one was courted by the newly-crowned Premier League champions in the summer of 2013 before penning a new four-year deal at Carrow Road. But that hasn't stopped the Blues from preparing to make a second attempt at enticing the 28-year-old away from Norfolk.
Jose Mourinho was thought to have wanted to initially sign the one-cap England international as cover for Petr Cech. But now it appears he's keen to test the water again as he looks to ensure a top-class back-up for Thibault Courtois is signed during the close season.
The Daily Star suggests that if second-choice Cech, valued at around £10million, is allowed to leave then Ruddy will be seen as the ideal replacement – especially if Norwich fail to earn promotion through the Championship play-offs.
Chelsea are believed to have had a bid of £6m for the Canaries' shot-stopper turned down last time around but appear likely to come back with a larger offer if extra funds are raised through Cech's expected departure.
Ruddy, speaking in October 2013 after agreeing terms to stay with the yellows until at least 2017, said: 'The club didn't get an offer they deemed acceptable.
'I was flattered by the interest and I thank Chelsea and Mourinho for that – and the level of interest they showed as well. But it wasn't to be. It was all sorted fairly early doors before we started pre-season, so I was ready to get my head down and work hard for Norwich, and try to maintain my performances that I had last year.
- 1 Man dies after collapsing during dog walk in Norfolk village
- 2 Carriageway of A11 remains closed after air ambulance called to crash
- 3 A47 reopens after serious crash near Swaffham
- 4 7 of the prettiest villages in north Norfolk
- 5 Drink driving teacher crashed into church wall with baby in car
- 6 Recycling centre closures planned as part of £15m County Hall cuts
- 7 Michael Bublé concert bans chairs and blankets from gig
- 8 Police called after sudden death at home near Norwich
- 9 Customers travelling especially to visit charming new café at fishery
- 10 Family sue Wetherspoon after man falls to death in city pub
'It was very nice, very flattering – but it was something the club didn't want to look at and they were well within their rights. I've signed a long-term deal here and I wouldn't have signed that if I wasn't happy to see it out.
'I'm more than happy to be at Norwich. It was one of those where if it didn't happen, then so be it. I'm not going to kick up a fuss and force my way out.'
Norwich signed Ruddy from Everton for £250,000 in July 2010. He has gone on to make 184 appearances for the club.