Rumour Mill: Arsenal lining up a move for ex-Norwich City loanee Joseph Yobo?
- Credit: Paul Chesterton/Focus Images Ltd
Arsene Wenger is reportedly looking to sign former Norwich City loanee Joseph Yobo to help ease Arsenal's current injury crisis.
Yobo joined the Canaries on loan last January from Fenerbahce, but could not help keep City in the Premier League and left the club following relegation.
It may have been that Yobo would have made a permanent switch to City had things worked out differently. Instead, the 34-year-old became a free agent in the summer following an difficult World Cup campaign with Nigeria.
The former national side captain made eight appearances – all starts – for City in the top flight last season, conceding 10 goals.
His final outcomes came in manager Chris Hughton's final game in charge, a 1-0 home defeat to West Bromwich Albion.
Wenger is also said to be looking to former Albion defender Diego Lugano as another free agent solution to the Gunners' problems.
Mathieu Debuchy potentially needs an operation after damaging ankle ligaments, while Wenger had just three senior defenders available for Tuesday's 2-0 Champions League defeat at Borussia Dortmund.
- 1 Café serving produce fresh from its farm opens in north Norfolk
- 2 Flames grip barn in north Norfolk
- 3 Fewer than half of village's homes occupied by full-time residents
- 4 'Quirky' two-bed cottage in Wymondham on sale for £350k
- 5 Norwich's 'hidden' church added to at risk list
- 6 7 major events to look forward to in Norfolk in July
- 7 West Norfolk town centre road closed following two-vehicle crash
- 8 Parked cars prevent buses from serving north Norfolk village
- 9 'Significant construction' on A47 to begin in 2023
- 10 Need for extension could mean Norwich roadworks continue for longer
Uruguayan Lugano made seven Premier League starts for the Baggies last term.