Robert Snodgrass tops Norwich City’s charts on way to Premier League safety
- Credit: Paul Chesterton/Focus Images Ltd
Scotland international Robert Snodgrass completed an impressive first season with Norwich City by topping the appearances list in 2012-13.
The former Leeds winger, voted runner-up by fans in the player of the season award, played 40 of City's 44 matches in all competitions.
He missed only one of the Canaries' 38 Premier League fixtures, when he was left on the bench for the 4-1 defeat at Chelsea in October because he was nursing an ankle injury.
The 25-year-old Snodgrass, in his debut season in the top flight, also finished second top scorer with seven goals in all competitions, one behind skipper Grant Holt.
Midfielder Bradley Johnson also played in all but one Premier League game, missing out on an ever-present record when he was suspended for the New Year's Day defeat at West Ham.
Player of the season Sebastien Bassong, fellow newcomer Javier Garrido and top scorer Holt all appeared in 34 of City's 38 league fixtures.
Holt's eight goals represented a reduced output on his first three seasons with the Canaries, but he moved into the top six scorers in club history during the campaign and, after scoring his 78th goal in the 3-2 win at Manchester City on Sunday, he will be within striking distance of Jack Vinall on 80 and Robert Fleck on 84 if he pulls on the yellow shirt again next season.
- 1 A47 reopens after it was closed for six hours due to crash
- 2 Broads Authority moves to prosecute pub over caravans - again
- 3 See inside this idyllic family home up for sale with NO nearby neighbours
- 4 Former coastal restaurant up for auction
- 5 Where you can see the Red Arrows over Norfolk today
- 6 Motorcylist in 50s in hospital with serious injuries after tyre shop crash
- 7 M&S to close 32 stores as part of move away from town centres
- 8 EXCLUSIVE: The faces behind City's prospective US investment
- 9 Thousands expected to attend huge four-day steam extravaganza
- 10 Multiple fire crews tackle farm blaze overnight
Three more players go into next season close to City career landmarks with Wes Hoolahan just six appearances short of 200 after five years at Carrow Road, Russell Martin three away from 150, and goalkeeper John Ruddy two short of his century.
Johnson collected most yellow cards with 10, while goalkeeper Mark Bunn received the only red card of the season, in the 1-1 draw at Sunderland as City held on for an hour to gain a point.
Manager Chris Hughton used a total of 32 players in all competitions, 10 of whom will not feature next season, having already joined new clubs or been released by the Canaries.
Nearly 1.3 million watched Norwich's 44 matches home and away, while the average league gate at Carrow Road was the highest for 40 years at 26,671.
City's final position of 11th in the Premier League was one place higher than a year ago and their highest in the English football ladder since they were third in the table in 1992-93.
• NORWICH CITY STAT ATTACK
• Senior appearances (maximum 44, including Premier League, FA Cup, Capital One Cup) – Snodgrass 40; Johnson 39; Holt 38; Hoolahan 36; Bassong, Garrido 35; Russell Martin 34; Howson, Pilkington 33; Tettey 29; Elliott Bennett, Turner 28; Bunn 26; Morison 22; Ryan Bennett 20; Jackson 19; Ruddy 15; Whittaker 14; Barnett, Kamara 11; Becchio 8; Fox, Surman 7; Tierney 6; Kane 5; Butterfield, Camp, Chris Martin, Rudd 3; Lappin 2; Francomb, Ward 1 (32 players used).
• Goals (all competitions) – Holt 8; Snodgrass 7; Pilkington 5; Hoolahan 4; Bassong, Jackson, Russell Martin, Turner 3; Elliott Bennett, Howson, Morison 2; Ryan Bennett, Johnson, Kamara, Lappin, Tettey, Whittaker 1. Own goals 2. Total 50.
League appearances (maximum 38) – Johnson, Snodgrass 37; Bassong, Garrido, Holt 34; Hoolahan 33; Russell Martin 31; Howson, Pilkington 30; Tettey 27; Turner 26; Elliott Bennett 24; Bunn 23; Morison 19; Ryan Bennett, Ruddy 15; Jackson, Whittaker 13; Kamara 11; Barnett, Becchio 8; Surman 4; Camp, Kane 3; Fox 2; Chris Martin, Tierney 1 (27 players used).
• League goals – Holt 8; Snodgrass 6; Pilkington 5; Bassong, Hoolahan, Russell Martin, Turner 3; Howson 2; Ryan Bennett, Elliott Bennett, Jackson, Johnson, Kamara, Morison, Whittaker 1. Own goals 1. Total 41.
• Aggregate senior appearances – Hoolahan 194; Holt 168; Russell Martin 147; Lappin 126; Chris Martin 117; Ruddy 98; Jackson 86; Fox 74; Smith 73; Johnson 68; Pilkington 65; Elliott Bennett 64; Morison 59; Surman 56; Barnett, Ward 55; Howson 44; Snodgrass 40; Tierney 39; Bassong, Garrido 35; Tettey 29; Ryan Bennett, Turner 28; Bunn 26; Rudd 18; Adeyemi 17; Whittaker 14; Kamara 11; Ayala 10; Becchio 8; Camp, Vaughan 6; Francomb, Kane 5; Butterfield 3; Steer 2.
• Aggregate senior goals – Holt 78; Hoolahan 35; Chris Martin 34; Jackson 21; Pilkington 13; Morison 12; Russell Martin 10; Surman 8; Snodgrass 7; Lappin, Smith 4; Bassong, Elliott Bennett, Howson, Johnson, Turner 3; Barnett 2; Ryan Bennett, Fox, Kamara, Tettey, Ward, Whittaker 1.
• Attendances (2011-12 figures in brackets) - Home league total: 506,762 (505,509). Home league average: 26,671 (26,605). Home total (all competitions): 602,388 (568,074). Home average (all competitions): 25,099 (25,821). Away league total: 683,655. Away league average: 35,981. Away total (all competitions): 696,853. Away average (all competitions): 34,842. League total: 1,190,417. League average: 31,326. Overall total: 1,299,241. Overall average: 29,528.