Ricky van Wolfswinkel is in the striking mix for Norwich City boss Alex Neil
- Credit: Paul Chesterton/Focus Images Ltd
Alex Neil is striving for the perfect striking mix to spearhead Norwich City's Premier League challenge.
Ricky van Wolfswinkel earned another chance to impress the Scot against West Ham in a midweek 1-0 friendly defeat at Carrow Road with Lewis Grabban and Cameron Jerome not involved.
The Dutchman fired a blank against the Hammers after missing the Canaries' best opportunity when he slammed a close range shot against Hammers' keeper Adrian, but Neil insists City's record signing can bring something different to the party.
'I thought his movement off the front was good,' said the Norwich boss.
'I don't think he is ever going to be a big, strapping centre forward who is going to bash people about, however, if we can get the ball around the middle of the park the one thing he is good at is running off defenders' shoulders and creating angles and creating space for himself.
'He was unfortunate in the game, he had two or three opportunities when he could have scored, particularly the one he ran through and had the goalkeeper to beat. I thought he worked extremely hard and the biggest thing for strikers is you want to make sure they get opportunities.
'It is important you have variety to choose from. Not just the strikers but you look at Vadis (Odjidja) and Tony Andreu as well and perhaps people haven't seen a lot of them. It is vital to let people see what they are capable of and certainly in the first half or even 60 minutes they both equipped themselves well.'
- 1 'Norfolk's Battersea Dogs Home' is full as cost of living crisis bites
- 2 Fast & Furious and Star Wars actor dines in Norfolk pub
- 3 Weather warning as thunderstorms set to hit Norfolk
- 4 Man died after car fell on top of him in 'tragic accident'
- 5 Customers flocking to Norfolk pub for its unlimited chicken wings and ribs
- 6 Teacher banned after 'inappropriate contact' with teenaged pupils
- 7 Sinkhole closes part of busy Norfolk road
- 8 Norfolk road trip named one of the best in the UK
- 9 Gold Mercedes crashes through windows of Norfolk supermarket
- 10 Covid cases in region more than double since beginning of June