Redmond catches the eye for Under-21s
- Credit: Paul Chesterton/Focus Images Ltd
Saido Berahino helped himself to a brace as England completed their near-perfect qualifying group campaign for the European Under-21 Championships in 2015 with a 3-0 victory in Moldova.
The comfortable win at the Sheriff Sports Complex in Tiraspol gave unbeaten England their ninth win from 10 Group One qualifiers with Norwich City's Nathan Redmond impressing. Berahino opened the scoring in the first half. He then scored a well-taken second early in the second to effectively seal the win, with Tottenham striker Harry Kane adding a third late on.
England's first chance came on 13 minutes as Redmond broke clear. His cross was cleared to Berahino, whose shot was well blocked by the on-rushing Moldova goalkeeper Alexei Koselev.
The same duo combined three minutes later to open the scoring, this time Koselev failing to keep out Berahino's far-post header after he had been picked out by Redmond after the Norwich winger had exchanged passes with Michael Keane.
Redmond continued to look lively, popping up on either flank and causing trouble amongst the Moldova defence as he fired wide when played through by Tom Carroll.
You may also want to watch:
England eventually made their domination pay after the break, with Redmond being substituted with eight minutes to go after a fine overall performance.
Meanwhile, Jamar Loza put in a lively display for Jamaica in the Reggae Boyz' 3-1 defeat to Canada.
- 1 'Too close to home': Neighbours' shock as body found at Mousehold Heath
- 2 Hospital confirms two patients have died from Covid
- 3 Chicken restaurant closes 'due to unforeseen circumstances'
- 4 Which? warning to avoid sun cream brand for children
- 5 Band and singer pull out of Latitude Festival due to positive Covid tests
- 6 More than 70 speeding drivers snared in police day of action
- 7 'Like an invasion' - locals speak out over five-day festival
- 8 What are the top 10 new shops opening in Norwich?
- 9 New beauty salon and massage rooms open at country club
- 10 Lifeboat crew rescues three girls out to sea on lilos