‘This is going to be the end on an era. I may even shed a few tears’ – City fans pay tribute as Hoolahan’s exit is announced
- Credit: Paul Chesterton/Focus Images Ltd
There was an outpouring of emotion from Norwich City supporters this lunchtime as the expected exit of club icon Wes Hoolahan was confirmed.
The Canaries legend is out of contract this summer and it has looked likely he will be leaving, as he celebrates his 36th birthday next month and has been a bit-part player under Daniel Farke.
The former Republic of Ireland playmaker, who retired earlier from international football earlier this year after his country missed out on the World Cup, has made 28 appearances for City this season but only started 13 of those games.
Overall he has 351 matches and 53 goals on his Canaries CV though, leaving him 17th in the all-time appearances list, however he will draw level with Daryl Sutch when he plays on Saturday.
The City heirarchy have confirmed Hoolahan will play during the final Carrow Road game of the campaign, against Leeds, and have also confirmed a testimonial will be organised.
You may also want to watch:
• Take a look at some of the best of the reaction above
- 1 Vision for multi-million pound new Norwich venue revealed
- 2 Be lord of the manor: Site of forgotten mansion for sale for £2.3m
- 3 Two city businesses on the move as mystery new tenant hovers
- 4 Norfolk cliffs fall man arrested on suspicion of murder released on bail
- 5 Police reopen road following earlier crash
- 6 'People didn't know I existed' - Shopkeeper thrilled with new store
- 7 Volunteer hit with £100 parking fee while collecting food for needy
- 8 Scams in Norfolk this week: Hermes texts and electricity boxes
- 9 Shoppers queue for revamped garden centre reopening
- 10 Norwich City transfer rumours: Canaries keen on Cherries ace