‘This is going to be the end on an era. I may even shed a few tears’ – City fans pay tribute as Hoolahan’s exit is announced
- Credit: Paul Chesterton/Focus Images Ltd
There was an outpouring of emotion from Norwich City supporters this lunchtime as the expected exit of club icon Wes Hoolahan was confirmed.
The Canaries legend is out of contract this summer and it has looked likely he will be leaving, as he celebrates his 36th birthday next month and has been a bit-part player under Daniel Farke.
The former Republic of Ireland playmaker, who retired earlier from international football earlier this year after his country missed out on the World Cup, has made 28 appearances for City this season but only started 13 of those games.
Overall he has 351 matches and 53 goals on his Canaries CV though, leaving him 17th in the all-time appearances list, however he will draw level with Daryl Sutch when he plays on Saturday.
The City heirarchy have confirmed Hoolahan will play during the final Carrow Road game of the campaign, against Leeds, and have also confirmed a testimonial will be organised.
You may also want to watch:
• Take a look at some of the best of the reaction above
- 1 Part of A47 closed after crash between pedestrian and lorry
- 2 Talented 24-year-old opens new bakery in village
- 3 Busy petrol station on A140 closes due to 'unforeseen circumstances'
- 4 Never mind Santa's sleigh... how about a Christmas combine harvester?
- 5 I don't watch Strictly but I'm in love with 'beacon of hope' Bill Bailey
- 6 Revealed: Coronavirus vaccine hubs in Norfolk
- 7 Man hit by lorry on A47 rushed to hospital with serious injuries
- 8 'False start' for restaurants as some stay closed after lockdown
- 9 'More substantial than a Scotch egg': Pub creates the 'Botched egg'
- 10 Saver menus and pizzas - how pubs are opening under 'substantial meal' rule