Re-educated Malky Mackay hopes for a fresh start in new role with Scottish FA
- Credit: PA
Malky Mackay insisted he had a deep knowledge of equality issues as he asked to be judged on future actions following his appointment as Scottish Football Association performance director.
The former Norwich City defender has landed his first job since the end of a Football Association investigation into a series of text messages exchanged between himself and his head of recruitment, Iain Moody, while he was Cardiff manager.
The FA took no action, citing Mackay's expectation of privacy and his voluntary undertaking of programmes to educate himself on equality issues, but that decision was condemned by anti-racism, Jewish and gender equality groups.
However, Mackay insists he has bettered himself significantly and the SFA even claimed his recent experiences could help their equality and diversity programmes.
The former Scotland international, who was hired and fired by Wigan during the course of the 11-month FA probe, told a Hampden media conference: 'Three years ago I apologised publicly and in front of cameras.
'I apologised privately for the three texts to the two gentlemen that I spoke about. And for the last three years I have been involved in diversity and equality meetings and basically been on an education to the point where I probably know more about it than anybody in this room in terms of then actually going on to talk to young players and coaches concerning it.
You may also want to watch:
'I suppose in any part of what you do it's about educating yourself generally. In the last couple of years I have been seeking out best practice all over the world in football and other sports. You are educating yourself and I think that can make you better in any field you are involved in.
'What I said at the time I deeply regret. But it's about learning from that and going on from there.'
- 1 Brother and sister found dead in their home are named
- 2 'It did not deliver': Glamping site vows to improve after guests hit out
- 3 Man jailed for stealing underwear and sex toy from village house
- 4 Revealed: Siblings' bodies were found after father's death
- 5 Woman admits causing deaths of Norfolk couple in road crash
- 6 Why is it so difficult to buy bottled water?
- 7 'She loved planting flowers' - Tributes left at home of woman found dead
- 8 When are GCSE and A-level results out and how fair will grades be?
- 9 Dad uses son's ashes in a tattoo on his leg
- 10 Man dumped rubbish at beauty spot after he 'forgot to put his bins out'