Raring to go: Nathan Redmond ‘ready’ for Norwich City starting role at Sunderland
- Credit: Paul Chesterton/Focus Images Ltd
Nathan Redmond is desperate for Alex Neil to let him off his leash at Sunderland.
Norwich City's flying winger scored during an impressive cameo against Crystal Palace on Saturday. And after being managed carefully by the Canaries' boss following his summer exploits with England Under-21s, the attacking talent is champing at the bit to make his side's starting XI for Saturday's trip to the Stadium of Light.
Redmond said: 'The gaffer has his reasons in what team he wants to play and essentially as a professional footballer you have to respect that. Whether I'm starting or on the bench I've got to give my support to the boys and when called upon I've got to be ready.
'I didn't play 90 minutes in our pre-season because I played three 90s the previous month (for England). My last 90 was on the 24th of June. So it's not really been about minutes for me. It's been about maintaining me and making sure I didn't blow up over pre-season.
'If I'd have had to start on Saturday I'd have been fully up for it but I had to come off the bench. As I said I was ready.'
You may also want to watch:
The 21-year-old has netted in his last two competitive City appearances but Neil insisted the wideman 'did not look ready to start' the Premier League opener – which they lost 3-1.
- 1 'Vindicated at last' - Pension compensation on the horizon for WASPI women
- 2 Body of man in 20s found at nature reserve near Norwich
- 3 Sky broadband issues across Norfolk and Suffolk resolved
- 4 Drug dealer walks free from court for his 145th offence
- 5 Shocked couple told statue used as doorstop could be worth £1m
- 6 New landlords relaunch pub with three-course dog menu
- 7 Clean-up operation begins as town 'flooded completely' by heavy rain
- 8 'Is this a wind up?' - Artist's shock as Delia buys 101 of his paintings
- 9 Plot of gold? Land up for sale for £750,000
- 10 Watch: Woman left bleeding and bruised after e-scooter crash