Proposed return of the East Anglian derby for pre-season shelved
- Credit: Eastern Daily Press © 2010
Plans for a pre-season friendly between Norwich City and Ipswich Town have been scrapped.
The two clubs had been in dialogue since the season finished to put on the first East Anglian derby since Easter 2011.
However, the friendly that was believed to be destined for Carrow Road on July 28 – and had been pitched at raising money for the Canaries' Community Sports Foundation – will not happen.
Neither club nor Norfolk Police were prepared to comment on the matter on Monday.
While it is understood the game had the backing of all parties, some of the renovation work to the Jarrold Stand may have made the fixture unworkable.
Seating in the site of the former South Stand is currently covered in scaffolding as City extend the three separate television camera gantries into one long platform suspended from its roof.
City's chief executive David McNally had used his Twitter account to ask fans what they thought of the possibility of a friendly match against their closest rivals.
- 1 Driver caught hitting speeds of 119mph on A47
- 2 Can you answer these 10 GCSE questions designed for 16-year-olds?
- 3 Fake chefs deliver out-of-date lasagne to Carrow Road ahead of Spurs clash
- 4 Homes destroyed after blaze breaks out in terraced housing
- 5 Where the streets have no cars... the community that banned the school run
- 6 Investigation closed after cash stolen from popular attraction
- 7 Crash closes part of B1145 in west Norfolk
- 8 City burger joint takes beef off the menu
- 9 More cameras could be on way to fine law-breaking Norfolk motorists
- 10 Cyclist airlifted to hospital with serious injuries following incident
And the reaction from both sides of the Waveney Valley was mixed, with many Canaries fans suggesting Town had not 'earned the right' to play them.
The news means City's three-game pre-season tour to the United States from July 15-26 remains their only confirmed warm-up matches ahead of the new season, which starts on August 17.
However, the Canaries are close to finalising and announcing the rest of what is hoped will be an eye-catching pre-season programme.