Profile: Norwich City transfer target Sebastien Bassong
Sebastien Bassong is a graduate of the Clairefontaine youth academy, which has produced the likes of Thierry Henry, Nicolas Anelka, William Gallas and Louis Saha.
The Cameroon international started his career at FC Metz, making 79 appearances over three seasons before moving to Newcastle United - where Norwich City boss Chris Hughton was part of the coaching staff - in July 2008.
The defender was named the club's player of the season for the 2008–09 season but couldn't prevent the club from being relegated from the Premier League.
Following Newcastle's relegation to the Championship, Bassong moved to Tottenham Hotspur for �8m in August 2009 on a five-year deal.
His debut for the north london club was a memorable one - scoring the winner in 2-1 victory over Liverpool.
Bassong was a regular in the Spurs side that finished fourth in the 2009-10 season, qualifying for the Champions League.
The six foot, two inches defender scored Tottenham Hotspur's first ever Champions League goal in a 3-2 defeat to Young Boys of Berne.
- 1 Norfolk pub named one of the UK's best eateries with a view
- 2 Landowner to close path after abuse from dog owners letting pets off lead
- 3 'I couldn't believe it' - West Norfolk villages hit by flash flooding
- 4 'Help yourself' - farmer gives away tonnes of onions damaged by heatwave
- 5 Could some Norfolk schools be set for three-day weeks?
- 6 Product sold at Tesco recalled due to risk of disease-causing bacteria
- 7 Where you will be able to see the Red Arrows over Norfolk this week
- 8 Blaze near children's playground in Norwich believed to be arson
- 9 Nine fire crews tackle blaze at industrial estate
- 10 Car carrying six children not wearing seatbelts caught on A47
The 26-year-old spent the second half of last season on loan at Wolverhampton Wanderers but could not prevent them from being relegated from the Premier League.
Bassong played as a defensive midfielder for the French under 21 national team, playing in two matches against the Netherlands and Japan in the summer of 2007 before being called up to the Cameroon national team for their 2010 FIFA World Cup qualifier against Morocco.
He was selected for the 2010 World Cup squad in South Africa alongside Tottenham teammate Beno�t Assou-Ekotto and wears the number 5 shirt - currently vacant at Norwich City - for Cameroon.
• Position: Defender
• Born: Paris, France (9 July, 1986)
• Height: 6ft, 2in.
• Weight: 11st, 4lbs.
• Former clubs: FC Metz, Newcastle, Tottenham Hotspur, Wolves (loan)
• International honours: Cameroon (15 caps, 0 goals)
FC Metz (2005-08): 79 starts, 1 goal.
Newcastle (2008-09): 30 starts, plus 4 as sub, 0 goals.
Tottenham (2009-12): 59 starts, plus 13 as sub, 3 goals.
Wolves (loan 2012): 9 starts, 0 goals.
• Total: 177 starts, plus 17 as sub, 4 goals.