Premier League trio linked with Norwich City moves as silly season steps up a gear
- Credit: AP
The rumour mill started to move a little bit quicker yesterday after a trio of names were linked with moves to Carrow Road.
Although the summer transfer window is not officially open until July 1, the phoney war was well under way.
The big name of the day was Liverpool's 21-year-old forward Jonjo Shelvey, with The Sun and Daily Mail stating the Canaries had made an inquiry over his summer availability.
The former suggested the Reds wanted £7m for his services, while the latter gave a range between £5m and £8m. Either way, it is a lot of money given City have already shelled out an initial £8.5m for Sporting Lisbon striker Ricky van Wolfswinkel. Shelvey, who cost Liverpool £1.7m from Charlton in 2010, is currently with England's Under-21s competing at the European Championships in Israel.
Meanwhile reports in Stoke suggested Norwich and Premier League rivals West Ham United are 'considering bids' for 24-year-old midfielder Steven Nzonzi, who has reiterated his desire to leave the Britannia Stadium this summer.
That said, new Potters boss Mark Hughes will apparently be determined to get a 'significant' fee to allow the midfielder to depart.
The third name is a rumour regular for Norwich, with the Daily Star suggesting City will bid £2.5m for relegated Reading's 29-year-old winger Jimmy Kebe.
- 1 Parked cars prevent buses from serving north Norfolk village
- 2 Flames grip barn in north Norfolk
- 3 'Significant construction' on A47 to begin in 2023
- 4 Blaze sees 20 passengers evacuated from city bus
- 5 Fewer than half of village's homes occupied by full-time residents
- 6 First-time publicans transform their local and are already winning awards
- 7 Buses damaged in city centre collision
- 8 Norwich's 'hidden' church added to at risk list
- 9 West Norfolk beach named the best in the east
- 10 'Quirky' two-bed cottage in Wymondham on sale for £350k
James Vaughan remains in demand to head out of City too, with Midlands reports suggesting Leicester City and Sheffield Wednesday are interested.