Portsmouth U23s 4 Norwich City U23s 0 – Former Reading star Jem Karacan plays for Canaries
- Credit: Paul Chesterton/Focus Images Ltd
Former Reading midfielder Jem Karacan was given a chance to impress as Norwich City's Under-23s took on their Portsmouth counterparts in the Premier League Cup.
The 27-year-old, who is a free agent after being released by Turkish giants Galatasaray at the beginning of the month, played for 75 minutes at Havant and Waterlooville's Westfield Park ground.
But it was not a night to remember for Karacan or the team, with Portsmouth winning 4-0 thanks to a hat-trick from Jamal Lowe and another from Nicke Kabamba.
London born of Turkish descent, Karacan signed for Reading in 2007 and made 175 appearances for the club – including 21 in the Premier League – while scoring 12 goals, before signing a three year contract with Galatasaray in the summer of 2015. The move did not work out however, with the player only making two appearances and being loaned out to fellow Turkish club Bursaspor, for whom he played 10 times.
He is now back in England and looking for a club at a time when City are short of central midfield options, with Graham Dorrans and Louis Thompson both out injured, Youssouf Mulumbu at the African Nations Cup and Alex Tettey just one yellow card away from a two match ban.
City: Hallett, Efete, Godfrey, Crowe, Ramsay, Adams, Karacan (Fleming 75), Grant, Jaiyesimi, Lewis (Aransibia 73), Cantwell. Subs not used: Oxborough, Kamal, Payne.
- 1 Norfolk village named among poshest places to live in the UK
- 2 Couple explores Norfolk homes in Escape to the Country
- 3 What is this mystery tower that has sprung up in Norwich?
- 4 'Once in a lifetime catch' - man lands monster fish in Norfolk
- 5 'Fantastic, loving, cheeky' 19-year-old killed in motorbike crash
- 6 Drunk student crashed into hotel wall after drinking tequilas
- 7 MAPPED: Where thousands of homes could be built in north Norfolk
- 8 'Ghetto' fears raised over scheme for 725 new homes
- 9 Elderly driver taken to hospital after village green crash
- 10 Tucked-away house in same family for over 100 years up for sale