Poll: What name should Norwich City skipper Russell Martin give his newborn son?
- Credit: Paul Chesterton/Focus Images Ltd
Norwich City captain Russell Martin is searching for a name for his newborn son after one of the most memorable weekends of his life – and we've come up with some Canaries-themed suggestions.
Martin had to rush back to Norwich from Liverpool on Saturday night as his wife had gone into labour earlier than expected with their third child.
The 29-year-old defender was at the Norfolk and Norwich University Hospital for the birth of his son at 9.30am yesterday and then made it back to Anfield to score the equalising goal in an excellent 1-1 draw.
But the Scotland international revealed after the game that the newborn baby was yet to be named.
Here are a few fun suggestions for Mr and Mrs Martin to consider – feel free to make your own, and leave your well wishes, by leaving a comment below.
How about Alex Neil Martin, to thank City's manager for inspiring the club back to the Premier League? Or maybe Wesley Grant Martin, in a nod to the influence of Canaries team-mates past and present, Grant Holt and Wes Hoolahan?
Or a more continental approach could be inspired by his newest City team-mate Dieumerci Mbokani?
Perhaps the centre-back could even be moved by Japan's famous giant-killing win over South Africa in the Rugby World Cup on Saturday evening – played in his hometown of Brighton? Karne Martin, to mark the late winning try scored by New Zealand-born Karne Hesketh to secure that exciting 34-32 victory?
- 1 Meet the new team behind revamped village pub
- 2 'Once in a lifetime catch' - man lands monster fish in Norfolk
- 3 Music-loving dad whose ashes were fired into festival crowd took own life
- 4 Woman in 40s airlifted to hospital after suffering medical emergency
- 5 People are driving for hours to visit this loaded fries and doughnut kiosk
- 6 Obituary: Doctor, and son of Norwich's recycling empire founder, dies aged 69
- 7 One person taken to hospital after three-car crash on A47
- 8 Father accused of baby girl's murder 'had short fuse and made things up'
- 9 Norfolk man amongst UK's 12 most wanted
- 10 Council leader arrested after suspected drink driving on Christmas Day
The Norwich captain, speaking to Sky Sports this morning, said a decision was still yet to be made, saying: 'It will be decided by this afternoon, we're still in debate about that one – we've only had nine months to decide!'