Photo Gallery: Norwich City 0, Borussia Monchengladbach 2

Norwich City completed their preparations for the new Premier League season with defeat at home to an impressive Borussia Monchengladbach side at Carrow Road this afternoon.

The Canaries were on the backfoot for the majority of the opening period and the Bundesliga giants thoroughly deserved the lead given to them by Igor De Camargo's competent finish in the 16th minute.

City looked technically inferior for long spells but did carve out enough chances to avoid drawing another blank ahead of their Premier League opener at Fulham next Saturday.

Grant Holt should have drawn his side level before half-time but his headed effort from eight yards out was easily gathered by Marc-Andre Ter Stegen with the goal gaping.

But perhaps the best chance for Chris Hughton's men came just before the hour mark when Robert Snodgrass latched on to a poor back pass before rounding the goalkeeper and teeing up Jonny Howson, whose shot was heroically blocked by Tony Jantschke.

Monchengladbach wrapped up victory in the last minute when Branimir Hrgota calmly slotted home after Lukas Rupp had split the Norwich defence.

City stuck with the same starting XI that came away with a goalless draw from Hull on Tuesday evening as Hughton provided another hint to his preferred line-up ahead of the Canaries' trip to Craven Cottage next weekend.

Most Read

Robert Snodgrass was once again asked to play just off Grant Holt but the Canaries struggled to gain enough possession in the opening period to provide their front men with adequate service.

The warning signs were there for City in the 12th minute after Marc Tierney's foul on Hermann gave the Bundesliga side a sight of goal. Juan Arango's left-footed effort had John Ruddy worried and the former Everton man was relieved to see the ball float just wide of his left-hand post.

Borussia looked far more assured in possession and in skipper Filip Daems they had a full-back prepared to bomb on down the left flank and cause City problems. It was from this source that Monchengladbach gained the lead in the 17th minute. Daems got in behind Russell Martin and his cross evaded Turner's outstretched leg to find De Camargo, who confidently fired home through Ruddy's legs.

It was no less than the Germans merited although the goal appeared to serve as a wake-up call to the Canaries, who finally started to make in-roads going forward.

A lovely move down the left flank almost brought City back on terms as Anthony Pilkington and Robert Snodgrass combined to release Johnson. The midfielder proceeded to roll a clever ball across the six-yard area but no City player had gambled and Daems managed to hack clear.

Johnson once again turned provider in the 27th minute when his delicious left-footed cross picked out Holt but for once the City skipper failed to provide the finish, his tame header easily saved by Ter Stegen.

Elliott Bennett, who had put in his normal industrious shift down the right flank in the first period, came close five minutes before the break with a volley that looked destined for the back of the net until Alvaro Dominguez manfully got in the way.

City were almost sucker-punched into conceding a second though on the stroke of half-time when Luuk De Jong crossed for Hermann in the six-yard area but the wide man was crowded out by a combination of Ruddy and Russell Martin to the relief of the home fans.

De Jong came close himself early in the second half. After his initial shot was blocked by Turner, the Dutchman reacted quickest before firing just over the bar from the edge of the area.

City had a fantastic chance to draw level in the 59th minute when for once Monchengladbach were careless in possession. Havard Nordtveit played a poor backpass which allowed Snodgrass a free run on goal. The former Leeds man was clipped as he went round the keeper but decided to stay on his feet. He jinked back inside on to his left foot and rolled the ball across the penalty area to the on-rushing Howson, who looked all set to restore parity. However, Jantschke had other ideas, launching himself at the midfielder and deflecting his effort over the bar.

Holt had cut an isolated figure at times in the second period and Hughton decided to throw on Steve Morison for the last quarter in place of Pilkington to give the striker some support. Surman also replaced Elliott Bennett on the left as Snodgrass withdrew to the right flank to accommodate Morison.

Morison made his presence felt straight away and glanced just wide after being found by Snodgrass' in-swinging free-kick.

Substitute Branimir Hrgota had a golden chance to wrap up victory just after his introduction in the 79th minute when he sprung the City offside trap but could only skew his shot wide of Ruddy's post.

Hrgota got his goal in the last minute though when he was found by Rupp before rounding Ruddy and slotting home.

• Norwich City (4-4-2): Ruddy, R Martin, Turner, R Bennett (Barnett, 85), Tierney, E Bennett (Surman, 66), Johnson, Howson (Jackson, 85), Pilkington (Morison, 66), Snodgrass, Holt. Subs not used: Rudd, Vaughan, C Martin, K Smith, Lappin, Francomb.

• Borussia Monchengladbach (4-4-2): Ter Stegen, Jantschke, Dominguez, Stranzl (Brouwers, 79), Daems (Wendt, 72), Herrmann (Ring, 63), Nordtveit (Cigerci, 63), Xkaka, Arango (Rupp, 72), De Camargo (Hanke, 36), De Jong (Hrgota, 79). Subs not used: Heimeroth.

• Referee: Howard Webb (Yorkshire)

• Attendance: 13,424

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter