Peterborough United boss Darren Ferguson: We can still give Norwich City a run for their money
Darren Ferguson insists Peterborough United can shrug off the loss of three of their better players and still give the Canaries a run for their money in today's FA Cup tie at London Road.
The Posh boss will be without Gabriel Zakuani (international duty), Lee Tomlin (suspended) and Dwight Gayle (cup-tied), but he is confident he can still pick a competitive outfit.
Ferguson said: 'Players always become unavailable throughout a season which is exactly why we build a squad. We are missing three good players and we don't have many options up front, but the players who are coming in will see it as the perfect opportunity to stake a claim for a regular first team place.
'We are going into the match full of confidence and excited about playing an FA Cup tie in front of a big crowd.
'I've never had a really good cup run in my time at the club, mainly because we always seem to get tough draws, but for a Championship team to get far in the competition they will have to beat a top team at some stage.
'It could be we get a bit more of the ball than you'd normally expect against a Premier League side, but we will have to concentrate at all times because this level of opponent can can turn defence into attack in an instant.'
Ferguson will play Danny Swanson as a striker with either George Boyd or 17-year-old Jaanai Gordon in support. Grant McCann could return in midfield.
- 1 EXCLUSIVE: US tycoons in Norwich City investment talks
- 2 Man claims supermarket fuel was contaminated as he reveals £200 repair bill
- 3 M&S to close 32 stores as part of move away from town centres
- 4 Scammers targeting Norfolk homes with fake parcel deliveries
- 5 Broads Authority moves to prosecute pub over caravans - again
- 6 Norwich pub selling out on Sundays with new head chef's roast dinners
- 7 Heavy delays on major Norfolk road after crash
- 8 Revealed: Your favourite fish and chip shop in Norfolk
- 9 Where you can see the Red Arrows over Norfolk this weekend
- 10 Soldier from Norwich jailed over rape of girl
Nat Knight-Percival is expected to replace Zakuani and Posh are likely to have several teenagers on the substitutes' bench, although �300,000 striker Nicky Ajose is back from a loan spell at Crawley.