Peterborough United 0 Norwich City 3
- Credit: Richard Blaxall/Focus Images Ltd
Norwich City eased to a 3-0 friendly win at Peterborough United in their first public pre-season outing of the summer on Saturday.
Alex Neil fielded two completely different starting line ups in two separate one-hour contests at the Abax Stadium, which the visitors shaded in each game. Josh Murphy settled the first hour's match before his brother Jacob's angled shot was parried to Cameron Jerome to finish and then Murphy himself rose highest to head home James Maddison's cross to complete a decent work out ahead of Neil's squad departing for their week-long Austrian training camp on Sunday.
Ricky van Wolfswinkel partnered Steven Naismith the early sparring with two chances inside the opening 10 minutes. The Dutchman's miscued header was comfortably gathered by Norwich-bred Mark Tyler in goal for Peterborough before a last-ditch tackle deflected his angled shot from Tony Andreu's slip pass.
Former London Road favourite Ryan Bennett denied the direct Shaquile Coulthirst in the 15th minute with the hosts carrying a threat on the counter.
John Ruddy was called on twice to parry from Jermaine Anderson before the men in black in front cleared the second wave.
Andrew Hughes hammered a rising strike over 18 yards out which brought a rebuke from Alex Neil towards his outfield players for failing to close down the defender.
Josh Murphy snatched at a first time shot two minutes after the interval in the first game when he hooked wide on his left, but underlined his threat with a quick body swerve before drilling a cross Michee Efete headed over at close range.
- 1 Massive care village and research park planned for edge of Norwich
- 2 Travellers set up 'unauthorised' camp in popular park
- 3 Mods and rockers taking over Norfolk town for classic bike and scooter meet
- 4 Large aircraft in shape of whale spotted above Norfolk
- 5 Why is Norfolk not introducing a hosepipe ban?
- 6 Dash cams help police prosecute 400 drivers in a year
- 7 Warning to pet owners after chocolate dumped in seaside village
- 8 'Risk of injury' - Aldi recalls product due to safety fears
- 9 'I'm sorry' - Woman behind cancelled festival offers customers £100,000
- 10 Can you spot yourself in the Classic Ibiza crowd at Blickling?
The former MK Dons' loanee broke the deadlock in the 46th minute when he burst past the last home defender to collect Bennett's pass and coolly lift over the advancing Tyler into the empty net.
City's line up for the second hour featured Harry Toffolo, who had a frustrating loan spell at Peterborough last season, where he was restricted to seven appearances. Maddison made his first public appearance of pre-season in a Norwich shirt as the chief support to Jerome.
Michael Turner and Seb Bassong added the experience along with Alex Tettey in central midfield alongside Louis Thompson flanked by Jacob Murphy and Todd Cantwell.
Peterborough created the first chance of note when Michael Bostwick headed over with just Declan Rudd to beat after Toffolo was punished for a mis-timed challenge to concede a free kick whipped in by Jon Taylor.
Bassong was fortunate to escape with a lax clearance returned with interest by Chris Forrester but Rudd kicked away the attempt before collecting from Bostwick.
Maddison's deft flick freed Jerome at the start of the final quarter but another drilled cross evaded his team mates.
The former Coventry City starlet blazed a wild free kick over Ben Alnwick's bar shortly after with the competitive edge of the first hour sadly lacking. Jerome was similarly wayward when he skied Jacob Murphy's cut-back.
Toffolo went down under the challenge of Adil Nabi inside the Peterborough box but referee Deadman was reluctant to award a spot kick.
Jacob Murphy finally injected some venomous intent with a swinging right foot shot that flashed wide with Alnwick beaten.
Norwich's second XI matched their counterparts from the first hour when Tettey triggered the counter that free Jacob Murphy to test Alnwick with an angled shot he could only parry into the path of Jerome who finished from close range. Jacob Murphy then matched his brother by heading home Maddison's corner but Declan Rudd was pressed into action in the final minutes of the 120 to tip over from Forrester.
• Peterborough (first hour XI): Tyler, Smith, Hughes, Da Silva Lopes, Tafazolli, Baldwin, Edwards, J Anderson (Chettle 30), Coulthirst, P Taylor, Inman.
• Norwich City (first hour XI): Ruddy, Ramsay, Bennett, Klose, Efete, Mulumbu, Dorrans, Andreu, van Wolfswinkel, Josh Murphy, Naismith. Subs (not used): Crow, Grant.
• Goal: Josh Murphy (46)
• Peterborough (second hour XI): Alnwick, White, Freestone, Almeida Santos, Bostwick, Forrester, Nabi, J Taylor, Maddison, Nichols, Ferrier. Subs (not used): Alban-Jones, Moore.
• Norwich City (second hour XI): Rudd, Godfrey, Turner, Bassong, Toffolo, Thompson, Tettey, Jacob Murphy, Maddison, Cantwell, Jerome.
• Goals: Jerome (47), Jacob Murphy (52)
• Referee: D Deadman (Cambs)
• Attendance: 2,759 (749 Norwich fans)