Paul Lambert urges Norwich City’s Scottish stars to seize the day
- Credit: PA
Former Norwich City manager Paul Lambert is urging Russell Martin and Steven Whittaker to join him in an exclusive club of Scottish legends by reaching the Euro 2016 finals.
The Canaries' duo are in line to feature in Saturday night's crunch qualifying derby against the Republic of Ireland as they bid to close in on a place at next summer's tournament in France.
Lambert was part of the last Scottish squad to reach a showpiece event - the 1998 World Cup held in the same country - and the City Hall of Famer wants the current generation to grab their big chance.
The 45-year-old, who was dismissed by FA Cup finalists Aston Villa towards the end of last season, won the Champions League as a player, but ranks playing Brazil at the Stade de France in the opening game of that World Cup as another career highlight.
'To get to any major tournament is an achievement, especially for a country of our size. We're in a good position, with a massive match against the Republic who are playing well too,' he said, speaking to the Scottish FA official site. 'It'd be great for players like Darren Fletcher and Scott Brown especially. They're two guys who have worked ever so hard to get into themselves and the team into this position.
'They've been in so many campaigns and they must feel themselves how close they are to qualifying.
'The Champions League is obviously the biggest tournament in European football, and the World Cup is incredible. It's hard to say which was better because above all else they were both big achievements. The World Cup was incredible – if we weren't going to win it, opening the tournament against Brazil was the next best thing.'
- 1 'I'm sorry' - Woman behind cancelled festival offers customers £100,000
- 2 Four taken to hospital after crash involving ambulance on A146
- 3 Norfolk man's relatable videos earn him millions of views and celeb fans
- 4 Met Office to build 80ft 'golf ball' weather radar after winning appeal
- 5 Can you spot yourself in the Classic Ibiza crowd at Blickling?
- 6 7 riverside walks to try in Norfolk with a pub pit stop
- 7 Woman who broke both legs in multiple places after fainting thanks NHS
- 8 9 West End shows heading to Norwich in 2023
- 9 New tenant bid for former Argos store on retail park
- 10 Four-bed home with swimming pool and Mediterranean garden on sale for £595k