‘Norwich’s victory was not a fluke’ - what the nationals said about Norwich City’s victory over Everton
- Credit: Paul Chesterton/Focus Images Ltd
Here are the national newspapers' views on Norwich City's 2-0 win over Everton in the EFL Cup.
• The Times: 'A lucky goal from Steven Naismith, the popular former Everton forward, was followed by a wonderful individual effort by Josh Murphy. Norwich's victory was not a fluke.'
• Daily Mail: 'What was expected to be a routine task for Everton, riding high in the Premier League, turned out to be something completely unexpected thanks to goals from former favourite Steve Naismith and Josh Murphy.
• Daily Mirror: 'Naismith had not played a game since a proposed move to Sunderland collapsed on deadline day. You could hardly tell because he ran the show, cracking Everton just before the interval.'
• Press Association: 'But, with 16 minutes left, Murphy showed Everton how it should be done, picking the ball up wide on the right and beating two men before curling an unstoppable shot from 20 yards past the motionless Stekelenburg and in off the bar.'
• Daily Telegraph: 'If there was good fortune about Norwich's first, the second was unstoppable as the youngster (Josh Murphy) cut inside and found the top corner from 20 yards.'
- 1 Meet the man behind a morbid new craze
- 2 Long stretch of A47 closed overnight due to crash
- 3 New operators take over at council-owned leisure centre
- 4 A47 reopens after serious crash
- 5 Renewed objections to demolition of pub empty for a decade
- 6 Norfolk pub gets booked up every Sunday for its roast dinner platters
- 7 Norwich venue offering Afternoon Cheese and it looks incredible
- 8 Restaurant owner 'excited' as Norwich street is permanently pedestrianised
- 9 18 sights you will remember from Norfolk in the 1980s
- 10 Jailed in Norfolk: Flytippers and paedophiles