Norwich’s Darren Cann ‘pulled’ from Crystal Palace FA Cup tie
- Credit: Archant
Norwich's World Cup assistant referee Darren Cann has been pulled from duty at Crystal Palace this weekend – because he used to be on the London club's books.
The 48-year-old was expected to be running the line for referee Mike Jones for Palace's fourth-round FA Cup tie against Manchester City, but the FA have now decided to take the game away from him.
Cann was dropped from Palace's 2008 Championship play-off semi-final against Bristol City after his Palace link was reported.
Cann began his footballing career playing in the youth team at Norwich and was signed by Steve Coppell in the 1980s for Palace. He was a regular in the youth team and reserves, but he did not make any first team appearances.
It has been as an official that Cann has made his mark, officiating at the 2010 World Cup final after running the line at that season's Champions League final.
You may also want to watch:
- 1 'Unauthorised' headstones ruin family's final wishes
- 2 Neighbours sick of road turning into 'scene from Fast & Furious'
- 3 Anti-vax protesters descend on Norwich pub demanding entry
- 4 New Lidl supermarket opens in Norwich
- 5 Man was found dead after lockdown hit business, inquest told
- 6 Fresh weather warning with Storm Evert set to hit Norfolk
- 7 Water starts gushing out of sinkhole on Norwich city centre road
- 8 Hospital investigated over 'contentious' deaths goes bust owing £4m
- 9 Post-Latitude covid has made me realise pandemic has a long way to go
- 10 Norfolk seaside holiday park battles Shell over solar panel plans