Norwich preparing to go double Dutch in the transfer market?
- Credit: AP
Norwich City transfer target Ola Toivonen has until next week to decide on a Carrow Road move, according to his current club PSV Eindhoven.
The Dutch outfit's technical director Marcel Brands confirmed yesterday the two clubs have reached agreement on a fee reportedly in the region of £4.8m for the Swedish international, but the attacking midfielder has been given a deadline of next Wednesday to indicate if he is willing to agree a Canaries' switch.
The 28-year-old is entering the final year of his contract with PSV and Brands has reiterated the Dutch club is willing to play hardball with Toivonen if the Swede attempts to run down the remaining 12 months on his current deal.
'It is now up to Ola,' Brands is quoted in Swedish paper Sport Bladet. 'We never go into the amounts mentioned, but we have an agreement with Norwich City on Ola. Now it's entirely up to him to decide whether he wants to make the move.
'We begin Monday again training. Ola has to join us by Wednesday. If there is still no clarity around Norwich, I just expect him here. It is true the transfer market is open until September 1. We will see what the consequences are after that point and, yes, returning to our second (reserve) team is an option.
'We have paid a lot of money for Ola. We must take that into account. We have another player in the same contract situation, Erik Pieters. He is in discussions with other clubs, but has said that he will extend his contract with us unless he moves this summer.'
Toivonen confirmed earlier this month he was prepared to hold talks with Norwich over a proposed move to England, but admitted he knew little about the Canaries' recent Premier League progress.
- 1 M&S to close 32 stores as part of move away from town centres
- 2 Man dies of collapsed lung after 'busy' hospital meant x-ray was missed
- 3 Every household in the UK to get £400 to help with rising energy bills
- 4 Farmer says cousin's wedding venue will bring 'criminal activity'
- 5 WATCH: 'Unplayable' delivery from Suffolk bowler goes viral
- 6 Norfolk garden centre wins 27th gold medal at Chelsea Flower Show
- 7 'It is a cash cow' - vicar's warning after being slapped with parking fine
- 8 Where you can see the Red Arrows over Norfolk this weekend
- 9 Major road to close for resurfacing works costing £81,000
- 10 The best places to eat in north Norfolk according to The Good Food Guide
'The Premier League is a very good league,' he said. 'I have not seen them play last season, but I'll talk to them and then we will see what happens.'
City have also been heavily linked with FC Twente's Dutch Under-21 international Leroy Fer in recent days. The player's agent, Rob Jansen, told Skysports News yesterday reports of a Norwich medical next week were 'premature' but added the highly-rated midfielder is Premier League-bound.