Norwich City youngster Jacob Murphy completes Southend loan deal
- Credit: Paul Chesterton/Focus Images Ltd
FA Youth Cup winner Jacob Murphy has joined Jamar Loza at League Two promotion hopefuls Southend after completing a loan move until the end of the season.
Chris Hughton confirmed at Colney on Thursday afternoon Murphy was likely to join Loza at Roots Hall after Southend boss Phil Brown revealed he was keen on recruiting another of City's exciting young talents.
'Yes, I think today is the deadline and that is very close to happening,' said Hughton. 'Sometimes it works out well first time around, other times it is a second loan spell but it is great experience that is invaluable for the young ones to go and play real, competitive football and you find out a lot about these young players.'
Murphy made his senior Canaries debut this year, coming off the bench to replace twin brother Josh in the FA Cup third round 1-1 draw with Fulham at Carrow Road in January. The 19-year-old had a loan stint earlier this season at League One Swindon Town whilst Loza had previously been at Coventry and Orient prior to marking his full debut for Southend earlier this week with a goal and two assists in a 3-0 win against Oxford United.
Norwich Under-21s boss Mark Robson went and watched Loza's star showing at Roots Hall and described the 19-year-old as 'the best player on the pitch'.
Brown confirmed he was keen to add Murphy to his Shrimpers' squad for the final push.
'Jacob could well be an option for us if Chris (Hughton) sees that another loan spell will do him good,' Brown told the Basildon Echo.
'We have been to watch a few of the Norwich games this season and were very impressed by both of the Murphy brothers, as well as Jamar.
- 1 Vehicles worth £50k stolen from Royal Norfolk Show
- 2 Primary school left without governors after mass walkout
- 3 Blaze sees 20 passengers evacuated from city bus
- 4 First-time publicans transform their local and are already winning awards
- 5 John Bailey: Lord Botham, our cricketing angler/conservationist
- 6 Protests planned against soaring fuel prices
- 7 New fishing tackle shop has 'amazing opening day'
- 8 Former professional dressage rider died in four-vehicle motorcycle crash
- 9 All of the Norfolk streets that won the Postcode Lottery in June
- 10 Man killed 96-year-old bystander in road rage crash
'Josh has since gone on to be in and around the first team at Norwich but Jacob could well be someone we look to bring in.'
Follow David Freezer on Twitter @davefreezer