Norwich City youngster Jacob Murphy completes Southend loan deal
- Credit: Paul Chesterton/Focus Images Ltd
FA Youth Cup winner Jacob Murphy has joined Jamar Loza at League Two promotion hopefuls Southend after completing a loan move until the end of the season.
Chris Hughton confirmed at Colney on Thursday afternoon Murphy was likely to join Loza at Roots Hall after Southend boss Phil Brown revealed he was keen on recruiting another of City's exciting young talents.
'Yes, I think today is the deadline and that is very close to happening,' said Hughton. 'Sometimes it works out well first time around, other times it is a second loan spell but it is great experience that is invaluable for the young ones to go and play real, competitive football and you find out a lot about these young players.'
Murphy made his senior Canaries debut this year, coming off the bench to replace twin brother Josh in the FA Cup third round 1-1 draw with Fulham at Carrow Road in January. The 19-year-old had a loan stint earlier this season at League One Swindon Town whilst Loza had previously been at Coventry and Orient prior to marking his full debut for Southend earlier this week with a goal and two assists in a 3-0 win against Oxford United.
Norwich Under-21s boss Mark Robson went and watched Loza's star showing at Roots Hall and described the 19-year-old as 'the best player on the pitch'.
Brown confirmed he was keen to add Murphy to his Shrimpers' squad for the final push.
You may also want to watch:
'Jacob could well be an option for us if Chris (Hughton) sees that another loan spell will do him good,' Brown told the Basildon Echo.
'We have been to watch a few of the Norwich games this season and were very impressed by both of the Murphy brothers, as well as Jamar.
- 1 Body found in search for missing 87-year-old Margaret Smith
- 2 'I can't carry it' - Shock as plant starts growing eight inches a day
- 3 Aldi planning four new stores in Norfolk
- 4 WATCH: 'Selfish' drug-driver ploughs into police detective's vehicle
- 5 Norfolk man who had sexual relationship with teen jailed
- 6 Two Norfolk businesses star in TV show
- 7 Fly-tipper travelled from Welsh border to dump in Norfolk
- 8 Funeral held for much loved windsurfer after body found in Sweden
- 9 Man charged with attempted murder after serious Norwich assault
- 10 The Range confirms new store at former Outfit on retail park
'Josh has since gone on to be in and around the first team at Norwich but Jacob could well be someone we look to bring in.'
Follow David Freezer on Twitter @davefreezer