Norwich City youngster backed to shine against Manchester United
- Credit: Matthew Usher
Norwich City Academy manager Gregg Broughton has backed Cameron McGeehan to handle the occasion of Cambridge United's FA Cup fourth round clash against Manchester United tomorrow evening.
McGeehan, who signed a one-month loan deal at the Abbey, has made an instant impression, scoring twice on his debut in the U's 4-0 win against Newport County on Saturday.
The 19-year-old is expected to start against Louis van Gaal's side and Broughton insists the game won't daunt the youngster, who captained the Canaries to FA Youth Cup glory in 2013.
'I think he's given himself a fantastic opportunity to be involved against one of the biggest clubs in the world,' Broughton told the official Norwich City website. 'I think it's a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity for a player of his age group. Even just to be involved in that, and in the build-up to the game, will be fantastic. He's already experienced big atmospheres and big environments with our Under-21s, our Under-18s in the FA Youth Cup run, and then with Luton last season, winning the league. He's a player who knows how to handle those situations.'
While McGeehan is hoping to prove he can make the grade at Carrow Road whilst out on loan, those left behind are hoping to show they can also have futures with the Canaries. Broughton revealed that all second-year scholars have been put into the Under-21s squad where they will be assessed before a decision is made before Easter whether to offer contracts.
You may also want to watch:
Their first chance to impress will be in the Premier League International Cup game against Borussia Moenchengladbach on Tuesday night. 'We go into the two home games remaining needing two results to be involved in the latter stages of that competition,' added Broughton. 'If we could ask all supporters to come out in the wonderful numbers as we know the crowd makes a difference.'
- 1 New virus named after Norfolk village
- 2 'Vindicated at last' - Pension compensation on the horizon for WASPI women
- 3 Driving instructor shares terrifying videos of NDR near misses
- 4 Tzolis poised to complete Canaries switch
- 5 No club record bid from City for Armstrong
- 6 City closing in on Werder Bremen striker
- 7 Covid-19 outbreak at hotel 'goes back to Latitude' - but guests not pinged
- 8 'Truly sorry' glamping owner apologises after negative reviews
- 9 Jailed in July: Drug dealing, knife crime and manslaughter
- 10 Man in 30s dies after crash on A12