Norwich City wingers Nathan Redmond and Josh Murphy prepare for further England youth duty
- Credit: PA Wire/Press Association Images
Preparation for the European Under-21 Championships continue for England in France tonight – with defender Carl Jenkinson making it clear the Young Lions are full of confidence.
The Arsenal defender was on the scoresheet on Thursday night as England beat Portugal 3-1 in a friendly at Turf Moor, with Burnley striker Danny Ings scoring the other two on his home patch.
Norwich City winger Nathan Redmond took the man-of-the-match award after being involved in the creation of all three goals and could be in action again during tonight's friendly in Brest.
And with Gareth Southgate's side already having qualified for next summer's tournament, in the Czech Republic, Jenkinson has high hopes that the current squad can be more successful than England's poor efforts at the Euro U21 Finals in 2011 and 2013.
'We've got a fantastic team here and there is a lot of belief,' said Jenkinson, who has also represented Finland at U19 level due to his mother's nationality, when speaking to thefa.com
'There is a real togetherness and the spirit in the squad is something I haven't experienced at international level before.
'That is a really positive sign and we are really confident that we can do well and obviously we don't want to get carried away, but I think people will see from Thursday night that we've got a good chance in the summer.'
The U21s match against France kicks off at 8pm and is being broadcast live on BT Sport.
• Norwich City winger Josh Murphy could be in action for England U20s today, in a friendly against Portugal in Coimbra (2.30pm kick-off).
- 1 Norfolk pub named one of the UK's best eateries with a view
- 2 'Help yourself' - farmer gives away tonnes of onions damaged by heatwave
- 3 Product sold at Tesco recalled due to risk of disease-causing bacteria
- 4 Where you will be able to see the Red Arrows over Norfolk this week
- 5 Landowner to close path after abuse from dog owners letting pets off lead
- 6 Could some Norfolk schools be set for three-day weeks?
- 7 'I couldn't believe it' - West Norfolk villages hit by flash flooding
- 8 Blaze near children's playground in Norwich believed to be arson
- 9 Nine fire crews tackle blaze at industrial estate
- 10 Fire crews to remain at scene of nature reserve blaze overnight
Murphy earned his second U20s cap on Wednesday night, playing the final 30 minutes of a 2-2 draw with Canada.