Norwich City will not sell off the family silver at the expense of a Championship promotion tilt

Alex Neil insists Norwich City will not be caught short in the transfer window. Picture by Paul Ches

Alex Neil insists Norwich City will not be caught short in the transfer window. Picture by Paul Chesterton/Focus Images - Credit: Paul Chesterton/Focus Images Ltd

Alex Neil insists Norwich City would be 'silly' to flog the club's top talent and jeopardise the Canaries' Championship promotion prospects.

Neil is still working on attracting fresh blood ahead of Monday's transfer window deadline - which will hold the key to any exits.

'We will not let players go if it leaves us weaker,' he said. 'I don't think we are in a position to do that. We want to be as competitive as we can between now and the end of the season and what I am not going to do is let a player walk out of the door and have no-one lined up to take his place. That would be silly from our point of view.

'You will see a lot more activity leading upto the close of the window. The squad is strong but you are always looking to make improvements and as a manager you always want one or two here or there to try and strengthen. If we get an offer we feel is acceptable for a player then of course we have pinpointed targets and we're in the process of doing a few things behind the scenes to make sure everything is in place. It is all ifs and buts at present. People have spoken about him (Martin Olsson), because that is out there, but in terms of any other of my players you just hear whispers here and there. There has been no actual firm contact and clubs offering us figures.'

Midfielder Elliott Bennett will stay at the club in the coming days after being touted with a return to Brighton and a potential reunion with ex-City manager Chris Hughton.

Bennett made his first Norwich league appearance against Brentford last week since the corresponding Championship fixture at Griffin Park in September, and Neil has told the 26-year-old to prove his worth.

'As far as I am aware there has been absolutely no contact from Brighton,' said Neil. 'I have spoken to Elliott and his representative to let them know I am more than happy to assess him over the next couple of weeks, as I have done with the rest of the squad, and if he deserves an opportunity to play then he will get his chance.

Most Read

'If not, and he is not going to be playing in the matches or getting game-time then that might be something we can explore, but it won't be for the next couple of weeks.

'We'll look at it further down the line because as far as I am concerned it is all hands to the pump. I don't want us to let players out and we get caught short a touch. We are assessing everyone over these few weeks.'