Norwich City v Sir Alex Ferguson
- Credit: Paul Chesterton/Focus Images Ltd
Of all the teams Manchester United have faced 10 times or more under Sir Alex Ferguson, Norwich City have the best record. The Canaries have won nine and drawn two of their 26 meetings in all competitions, a win ratio of 35 per cent.
Four Norwich managers have recorded victories over United teams managed by Ferguson. Dave Stringer chalked up six victories in 10 attempts, with Ken Brown (December 1986), Nigel Worthington (April 2005) and Chris Hughton (November 2012) the other winning City bosses.
The 1-0 victory under Brown was City's first league win at Old Trafford and came courtesy of a late goal by Kevin Drinkell.
Ferguson's first point as United boss came against the Canaries at Carrow Road in a Division One meeting in November 1986, his second game in charge. City were reduced to 10 men two minutes into the second half by injuries to Ian Culverhouse and David Hodgson.
They held on thanks partly to an inspired performance by 22-year-old goalkeeper Bryan Gunn, making only his third appearance for the club after Ferguson had sold him to Norwich for £100,000 a month earlier in one of his last acts as Aberdeen manager.
You may also want to watch:
Striker Robert Fleck was a particular thorn in United's side in the Ferguson era, scoring five times against them, always in victories. His first Carrow Road goal gave them a 1-0 win in March 1988, he scored a penalty in a 2-0 win at Old Trafford in August 1989, and both goals in a 2-0 win the televised return fixture in January 1990. He also scored in the 2-1 FA Cup fifth round win over United in February 1991.
Ryan Giggs scored a couple of career landmark goals for United against the Canaries. His first competitive goal for the club came in a 3-0 Division One victory over Norwich at Old Trafford in September 1991. More than 20 years later, in February 2012, he scored a last-minute winner for United at Carrow Road on his 900th senior appearance for the club, giving them a 2-1 Premier League win.
- 1 'Too close to home': Neighbours' shock as body found at Mousehold Heath
- 2 Which? warning to avoid sun cream brand for children
- 3 Chicken restaurant closes 'due to unforeseen circumstances'
- 4 Lifeboat crew rescues three girls out to sea on lilos
- 5 Poultry company owner says food industry is at 'crisis point'
- 6 What are the top 10 new shops opening in Norwich?
- 7 Noise investigation launched after works leave houses 'tremoring'
- 8 New beauty salon and massage rooms open at country club
- 9 'Like an invasion' - locals speak out over five-day festival
- 10 'Cold and desolate' - Anne Robinson's Countdown jibe at Norfolk