MATCHDAY RECAP: Canaries thump Terriers to move five points from promotion
- Credit: Paul Chesterton/Focus Images Ltd
Norwich City have moved closer to an instant top-flight return as they thrashed Huddersfield Town 7-0 at Carrow Road.
A hat-trick for Teemu Pukki and goals from Emi Buendia, Todd Cantwell, Kieran Dowell and Jordan Hugill mean the Canaries require a maximum of five points to secure promotion.
Brentford became the latest of City's promotion rivals to drop points as they drew at home to Birmingham. Daniel Farke's side saw Watford draw with Middlesbrough and watched on as Swansea lost to Preston.
City were unrelenting in their efforts to add to the scoresheet and went into half-time leading 5-0. This win is their biggest league win since an 8-1 victory over Shrewsbury Town in 1952.
Buendia shined and registered three assists. He added to his tally with a fine strike from outside the area. The Argentine has now scored 12 goals this season.
Pukki's hat-trick is only his second since signing for the club, the Finn has now moved three goals behind Ivan Toney and is on 25 for the season.
City can secure promotion against Bournemouth providing they beat Derby County on Saturday.
- 1 'We haven't slept': Primark shoppers queue outside city store from 3am
- 2 People queue at Norwich Primark an hour before 7am reopening
- 3 Couple sell 'amazing' converted water mill after two-year renovation
- 4 Hospital's walk-in vaccine clinic suspended after poor attendance
- 5 Streets of Norwich packed as lockdown rules ease
- 6 Woman found dead in country park is named
- 7 Lanes closed after lorry hits A47 central reservation
- 8 Months of resurfacing work on Norfolk's roads to start
- 9 Eight pints pulled in first three minutes as pub's 'happy hour' returns
- 10 Boss unhappy over fake worker's 'vile' comments about Prince Philip
- Follow the action live via our match day blog from Carrow Road with our Canaries correspondents.