Norwich City v Aston Villa - Paddy Davitt’s prediction
Nothing to play for? Don't believe that for a second. Both clubs may well be in the Premier League again come August, but what happens in this 90 minute finale at Carrow Road could have far-reaching implications.
The Canaries can feasibly still finish two places higher in the pecking order if events go their way here and elsewhere around the country. The financial implications in terms of increased merit payments could provide Paul Lambert with some much-needed extra financial muscle in the summer horse trading as chief executive David McNally has recently reiterated every spare pound goes into Lambert's team building pot.
Alex McLeish needs a positive result to try and silence the growing cacophony of cat calls from the frustrated Villa Park faithful demanding Randy Lerner's experiment in headhunting from their bitter city rivals is abandoned after one turbulent season of struggle.
McLeish will point to injuries to key personnel and the absence of skipper Stiliyan Petrov after the Bulgarian international was recently diagnosed with luekaemia.
Certainly, Villa looked upwardly mobile when they unleashed some fearsome attacking weapons against the Canaries to edge an entertaining encounter before Christmas.
City were also guilty of defensive charity that afternoon. A trait which has crept back into their play post-Easter.
The hosts will be brimming with confidence after a reviving display at Arsenal last weekend. The stomach-churning, last-day nervousness will be singularly absent at Carrow Road. Villa have also secured safety to all intents and purposes. The ingredients are in place to serve up plenty of attacking entertaiment for the fans to cap a season to remember.
- 1 Driver caught hitting speeds of 119mph on A47
- 2 Can you answer these 10 GCSE questions designed for 16-year-olds?
- 3 Fake chefs deliver out-of-date lasagne to Carrow Road ahead of Spurs clash
- 4 Homes destroyed after blaze breaks out in terraced housing
- 5 Where the streets have no cars... the community that banned the school run
- 6 Investigation closed after cash stolen from popular attraction
- 7 Crash closes part of B1145 in west Norfolk
- 8 City burger joint takes beef off the menu
- 9 More cameras could be on way to fine law-breaking Norfolk motorists
- 10 Cyclist airlifted to hospital with serious injuries following incident
• Norwich City 2, Aston Villa 2