Norwich City Under-18 2, Chelsea Under-18 1
At the fourth time of asking this month Norwich City finally got the better of Chelsea when Ricky Martin's side picked up all three points with a 2-1 win at Colney.
Earlier this month Chelsea knocked Martin's side out of the FA Youth Cup after a penalty shoot out. Then both the first team and the reserves were held to draws by the Blues, but Chelsea had no answer to an impressive Norwich performance in front of an appreciative Colney crowd.
The Canaries almost opened the scoring inside the first couple of minutes when Josh Murphy raced clear of the defence but when he attempted to round Mitchell Beeney in the Chelsea goal he pushed the ball too wide allowing the defence to recover.
Captain Michael Clunan saw a free kick turned round for a corner from which Taylor McKenzie crashed a header into the side netting.
On their first real attack Chelsea came close to getting the opening goal when Amin Affane struck the bottom of the post with a free kick.
You may also want to watch:
Harry Toffolo sent a free kick just over the crossbar while Tom Howard saw a shot saved by City keeper Conor Cable.
On 37 minutes Norwich opened the scoring when Murphy cut in from the right. Beeney was on hand to block the City winger's effort but Murphy picked up the loose ball and from a tight angle he drove the ball past two defenders into the net.
- 1 Trains cancelled due to flooding - and more heavy rain expected
- 2 More storms ahead as flood warnings remain in place
- 3 Family demands answers after 91-year-old dies weighing four stone
- 4 Man taken to hospital after cardiac arrest at beach
- 5 Church with 'features to get excited about' for sale for £80,000
- 6 Joy and relief as Latitude passes off successfully
- 7 Never mind the limo - aspiring farmer rides tractor to prom night
- 8 Risk of flooding in parts of region as storms slowly move in
- 9 Cannabis stash worth about £2000 found hidden in home
- 10 'They're blaming me' - Social housing tenant angry over state of flat
With 45 minutes on the clock Norwich extended their lead when Toffolo made a great interception before picking out Jamar Loza who drove a spectacular effort into the far corner.
Chelsea made two changes as the second half got underway but it was City who continued where they had left off when Toffolo sent in an inviting cross that Cameron McGeehan headed back into the danger area and with McKenzie's header heading for the bottom corner it needed a great save from Beeney to stop Norwich going three up.
It was the signal for Chelsea to step up their game as Norwich came under increasing pressure at the back, but they defended well and it was not until the 90th minute they pulled a goal back through substitute Reece Mitchell. It made for a nervous final few minutes as City weathered the storm to claim all three points.
• Norwich City Under-18s: Cable, Norman, Toffolo, Clunan, Barker, McKenzie, Hall-Johnson (Carroll, 77), McGeehan, Loza, Dobbs (Florence, 64), Josh Murphy (Jacob Murphy, 51). Subs not used: McFadden, Peacock.
• Chelsea Under-18s. Beeney, Gordon (Nortey, 45), Davey, Nkumu, Nditi, Ake, Howard (Seremba, 45), Swift, Feruz, Baker, Affane (Mitchell, 85). Subs not used: Osmanovic, Killip.