HIGHLIGHTS: Norwich City U23s 0 Manchester United U23s 1 – Marshall and Oliveira in action
- Credit: Archant
Ben Marshall stepped up his recovery from illness by playing 78 minutes of a 1-0 defeat to Manchester United Under-23s for Norwich City's U23s at Colney this afternoon.
The winger has missed the last five first-team games due to a stomach bug which caused him to lose weight but stepped up his bid for full fitness as Matt Gill's youngsters continued their Premier League Two campaign.
Out-of-favour senior striker Nelson Oliveira also featured in U23 action again but wasn't able to find the back of the net – as he had in a 2-1 win over Newcastle at Colney the previous Friday – as United edged the Division Two win.
Aidan Barlow scored the decisive goal in the 72nd minute, firing home low inside the area after being teed up by Lee O'Connor, and the young Canaries finished the match with 10 men after Anthony Spyrou picked up a second yellow card with around 10 minutes remaining.
Next Friday brings another PL2 fixture for Gill's development squad, away to Leicester City at the Premier League club's Holmes Park training centre, for a 7pm kick-off.
You may also want to watch:
Norwich U23: McCracken, Marshall (Kamal 78), Odusina (C), Jones, Richards, Power, Aransibia, Payne (Scully 82), Spyrou, Oliveira, Idah. Unused subs: Johnson (GK), Coley
Man Utd U23: Kavar, Warren, Williams, Whelan, O'Connor, Buffonge (Griffith 70), Poole (C), Hamilton, Bohui, Dearnley, Barlow. Unused subs: Woolston (GK), Sang, Ercolani, Bears
- 1 'It did not deliver': Glamping site vows to improve after guests hit out
- 2 Revealed: Siblings' bodies were found after father's death
- 3 Brother and sister found dead in their home are named
- 4 Body believed to be missing man found near Norfolk coast
- 5 Man jailed for stealing underwear and sex toy from village house
- 6 No-frills Norwich pub offers top-notch food and every dish is under £8
- 7 Sales rep who died at nature reserve named at inquest
- 8 Neighbours of murdered woman tell of terrifying scene in close
- 9 Covid infection rates plummet in Norfolk
- 10 Widow threatened with debt collectors after funeral director’s bill blunder
• Take a look at more of Antony Kelly's photos below