Norwich City U21s 0 Swansea City U21s 1
- Credit: Matthew Usher/Focus Images Ltd
Norwich City youngster Ben Godfrey was sent-off as the Canaries slipped out of the EFL Trophy against Swansea City's Under-21s on Tuesday at Carrow Road.
Godfrey was dismissed in the 25th minute for denying a goalscoring opportunity to Oliver McBurnie, who settled the last-32 tie in the 74th minute when he rose unmarked to glance home a near-post header.
Alex Neil named a number of senior players in a side captained by Timm Klose but Dmitri Halajko's squad were unable to overcome their numerical disadvantage, although Carlton Morris did have the ball in the net in the second period but was penalised for a foul in the build-up.
Youssouf Mulumbu and Josh Murphy were the only starters who got any action in Saturday's 5-0 Championship romp against Brentford. Klose partnered Godfrey at centre-back, with Steven Whittaker adding further experience in front of Ben Killip.
Murphy was flanked by Sergi Canos and Matt Jarvis, making his seasonal reappearance after knee surgery, with Morris leading the line.
You may also want to watch:
Conor McGrandles was on the bench again after making his injury return from a double leg break in last week's Premier League Cup defeat at Wolves.
Swansea's line up featured Alfie Mawson who joined from Barnsley for a reported £5m in August and has so far made three Premier League appearances. Experienced keeper Gerhard Tremmel was also in the Swans' ranks.
- 1 Body found in search for missing 87-year-old Margaret Smith
- 2 'I can't carry it' - Shock as plant starts growing eight inches a day
- 3 WATCH: 'Selfish' drug-driver ploughs into police detective's vehicle
- 4 Norfolk man who had sexual relationship with teen jailed
- 5 Two Norfolk businesses star in TV show
- 6 Fly-tipper travelled from Welsh border to dump in Norfolk
- 7 Aldi planning four new stores in Norfolk
- 8 The Range confirms new store at former Outfit on retail park
- 9 Funeral held for much loved windsurfer after body found in Sweden
- 10 Man charged with attempted murder after serious Norwich assault
Whittaker's dart created the first chance of note for the hosts in the 16th minute when he chipped the ball into Murphy who miscued his strike at Tremmel.
Murphy advanced minutes later but choked another attempt that rolled beyond the far post from 22 yards.
Norwich's task, however, was made much tougher in the 25th minute when Godfrey was red-carded after being caught under the flight of a long ball before clipping McBurnie on the edge of his area.
Referee Deadman had no hesitation in dismissing the young centre-back, who had previously conceded a penalty against the Swans in last week's Premier League Two defeat.
Neil appeared in the vicinity of the home technical area in the aftermath to pass on instructions to Halajko and Alan Irvine, which resulted in Jarvis switching to right-back and Whittaker pushed inside.
Canos was next into the referee's notebook in first-half stoppage time for slamming the ball into the turf in frustration at a Swansea throw-in.
Jarvis was replaced at the interval by Joe Crowe but the pattern remained unaltered with the Swans dominating possession without fashioning a real threat on Killip's goal. McBurnie headed over in the 55th minute from Daniel James' cross with Canos caught out of position.
Norwich were increasingly reliant on sporadic counters with Whittaker roaming forward to test Tremmel with a low strike.
Killip tipped over James' rising shot at the other end but the Norwich keeper was beaten in the 74th minute by McBurnie's glancing near post header after the hosts failed to decisively clear a Swansea corner.
Klose kept Swansea at bay in the 87th minute with a clearance from underneath his own bar after McBurnie had diverted a free kick over Killip.
• Norwich City U21s: Killip, Whittaker, Godfrey, Klose, Ramsay, Mulumbu, Grant, Canos, Murphy (Jaiyesimi 77), Jarvis (Crowe 45), Morris. Subs (not used): Hallett, Efete, McIntosh, McGrandles, Middleton.
• Bookings: Canos (dissent, 45); Ramsay (foul on Bray, 86) , Grant (foul on James, 90)
• Sending Off: Godfrey (foul on McBurnie, 25)
• Swansea City U21s: Tremmel, Rodon, Reid, Blair, Davies, Mawson, James, Evans (Holland 66), McBurnie, Byers, Samuel (Bray 59). Subs (not used): Lewis, Thomas, Biabi, Garrick, Plezier.
• Bookings: Mawson (foul on Canos, 61); Blair (foul on Murphy, 64)
• Goal: McBurnie (74)
• Time added on: 1 minute / 4 minutes
• Referee: Darren Deadman (Cambs)
• Attendance: 785