Norwich City U18s 3, Watford U18s 0
After three defeats in a row City's Academy side got back to winning ways with a comfortable win over Watford at Colney. Ricky Martin saw his side dominate proceedings in the first half but they did not open their account until stoppage time before they went on to score two further goals after the interval the second of which came once again in stoppage time.
In something of an unfamiliar line-up the Murphy twins Jacob and Josh were both started and they combined well for Josh to send an effort over the bar. Moments later the woodwork came to the Hornets' rescue when midfielder Dean Florence curled a delightful effort beyond Dan Wilkes only to see the ball crash off the inside of the post before being cleared.
Norwich keeper David Wooton had to make a routine save from a Dereece Gardner header before a great run down the right flank from Reece Hall-Johnson but his cross was fired over the bar by Jacob Murphy.
Shortly after Murphy returned the compliment setting up Hall-Johnson but his shot was well saved by Wilkes.
Captain Taylor McKenzie sent a header from a Michael Clunan corner just wide of the far post, while Jacob Muphy forced Wiles into another good save, but deep into first half stoppage time Murphy finally got the goal that their first half performance deserved when he sidefooted the ball beyond Wilkes.
You may also want to watch:
Not to be outdone by his brother Josh Murphy curled an effort just past the far post shortly after the restart and moments later Wilkes stuck out a leg to deny him. Martin introduced U16 Cameron King for his first appearance, but it was two of the senior players who combined to score City's second on 80 minutes when Clunan's corner was met perfectly by McKenzie who crashed a thumping header into the net.
Josh Murphy saw an effort turned over the bar but in stoppage time he intercepted a free kick to set Jamar Loza away and he beat Wilkes with a low shot into the bottom right-hand corner.
- 1 Norfolk seaside holiday park battles Shell over solar panel plans
- 2 Man and woman found dead in home
- 3 Hardware store owners retiring after more than 60 years
- 4 Norfolk RSPCA cattery full as owners give up lockdown pets
- 5 Anti-vax protesters descend on Norwich pub demanding entry
- 6 Car catches fire after early morning crash
- 7 Neighbours sick of road turning into 'scene from Fast & Furious'
- 8 Man re-arrested over murder of missing 83-year-old Pat Holland
- 9 Weather warning as more thunderstorms set to hit parts of the region
- 10 'Unauthorised' headstones ruin family's final wishes
• Norwich City: Wooton, Barker, Toffolo (Norman 70), Jones, McKenzie, Hall-Johnson, Florence (McGeehan, 70), Josh Murphy (King, 65), Loza, Jacob Murphy.
Subs not used: Dobbs, Carroll.
• Watford: Wilkes, Horner, Willmore, Cox, Johnson (Robertson, 65), Akubuine, English, Hamilton, Gardner (Ferrier, 45), O'Nien, Kalu.
Subs not used: Eaton, Bawling, O'Conner.
• City Man of Match: Taylor McKenzie.