Norwich City U18s 3, Watford U18s 0
After three defeats in a row City's Academy side got back to winning ways with a comfortable win over Watford at Colney. Ricky Martin saw his side dominate proceedings in the first half but they did not open their account until stoppage time before they went on to score two further goals after the interval the second of which came once again in stoppage time.
In something of an unfamiliar line-up the Murphy twins Jacob and Josh were both started and they combined well for Josh to send an effort over the bar. Moments later the woodwork came to the Hornets' rescue when midfielder Dean Florence curled a delightful effort beyond Dan Wilkes only to see the ball crash off the inside of the post before being cleared.
Norwich keeper David Wooton had to make a routine save from a Dereece Gardner header before a great run down the right flank from Reece Hall-Johnson but his cross was fired over the bar by Jacob Murphy.
Shortly after Murphy returned the compliment setting up Hall-Johnson but his shot was well saved by Wilkes.
Captain Taylor McKenzie sent a header from a Michael Clunan corner just wide of the far post, while Jacob Muphy forced Wiles into another good save, but deep into first half stoppage time Murphy finally got the goal that their first half performance deserved when he sidefooted the ball beyond Wilkes.
Not to be outdone by his brother Josh Murphy curled an effort just past the far post shortly after the restart and moments later Wilkes stuck out a leg to deny him. Martin introduced U16 Cameron King for his first appearance, but it was two of the senior players who combined to score City's second on 80 minutes when Clunan's corner was met perfectly by McKenzie who crashed a thumping header into the net.
Josh Murphy saw an effort turned over the bar but in stoppage time he intercepted a free kick to set Jamar Loza away and he beat Wilkes with a low shot into the bottom right-hand corner.
- 1 Norfolk pub named one of the UK's best eateries with a view
- 2 'I couldn't believe it' - West Norfolk villages hit by flash flooding
- 3 Landowner to close path after abuse from dog owners letting pets off lead
- 4 Could some Norfolk schools be set for three-day weeks?
- 5 'Help yourself' - farmer gives away tonnes of onions damaged by heatwave
- 6 Product sold at Tesco recalled due to risk of disease-causing bacteria
- 7 Blaze near children's playground in Norwich believed to be arson
- 8 Nine fire crews tackle blaze at industrial estate
- 9 Where you will be able to see the Red Arrows over Norfolk this week
- 10 Car carrying six children not wearing seatbelts caught on A47
• Norwich City: Wooton, Barker, Toffolo (Norman 70), Jones, McKenzie, Hall-Johnson, Florence (McGeehan, 70), Josh Murphy (King, 65), Loza, Jacob Murphy.
Subs not used: Dobbs, Carroll.
• Watford: Wilkes, Horner, Willmore, Cox, Johnson (Robertson, 65), Akubuine, English, Hamilton, Gardner (Ferrier, 45), O'Nien, Kalu.
Subs not used: Eaton, Bawling, O'Conner.
• City Man of Match: Taylor McKenzie.