Norwich City U18 0, Chelsea U18 1
City's ambition to win their section of the FA Premier Academy League took a severe dent on Saturday when after dominating the game for long periods they went down by the only goal against Chelsea at Colney.
The Canaries took the game to the visitors from the off, with Remy Gordon seeing a free-kick turned round by a defender, while Gordon then turned provider, sending in a good cross for Ryan Oakley, but his shot was blocked inside the six-yard box.
The lively Josh Dawkin twice went close, first with a header saved by Jamal Blackman, then with an effort that struck the side netting.
Gordon was sending in some inviting crosses and Jack Werndly was only inches away from conecting with one of these.
City goalkeeper Jed Steer had to be alert to save at the feet of Walter Figueria as Chelsea almost caught City on the break, but the action quickly switched to the Chelsea end where Theo Jones saw a shot blocked.
Joe Peacock was introduced for the start of the second half and Richard Brindley sent an effort into the side netting, before Dawkin saw an effort deflected wide after good play from Jason Dobbs.
With 65 minutes gone, somewhat against the run of play, Chelsea opened the scoring when an Amin Affane corner was cleared to the same player and from a tight angled he drilled the ball through a crowded penalty area to beat Steer at the near post.
- 1 Mysterious 'large black animal' spotted roaming in fields near city
- 2 Rare sighting of Northern Lights captured above Norfolk
- 3 Large aircraft in shape of whale spotted above Norfolk
- 4 City pub to reopen with new owners hoping to bring back 'good old days'
- 5 Firefighters battling forest blaze near Sandringham
- 6 Farmers call for Norfolk hosepipe ban
- 7 Two women in hospital with serious injuries after A47 slip road crash
- 8 New planning bid to re-use long-empty pub
- 9 Organisers of Norfolk festival 'gutted' after cancelling due to fire risk
- 10 Coastguard hunt for missing woman in early morning search
Chelsea threatened to double their advantage but Steer made a superb double save. Werndly went close for City and Blackman was almost caught out by a Gordon free-kick.
It was all Norwich as they went all out for the equaliser with captain Matthew Ball glancing a header wide, while after good work by substitute Peacock, Ball sent a shot across the goalmouth.
Deep in stoppage time, Brindley sent a shot into the side netting, but it was not to be for Norwich, who on another day could have won comfortably on the number of chances they had.
• Norwich City U18: Steer, Dobbs, Gordon, Brindley, Barker, Jones, Oakley (Peacock, 45), Kelly, Werndly, Ball, Dawkin. Subs (not used): Clunan, Matthews, Loza, Carroll.
• Chelsea U18: Blackman, Sampayo, Davey, Gordon, Noiti (Osmanovic, 85), Affane, Seremba, Nkumu, Figueria (Bangura, 85), Baker, Devyne (Kiwomya, 90). Subs (not used): Kilip, Houghton.
• City man of match: Jason Dobbs.