Norwich City transfer rumours: Aston Villa and Birmingham also interested in Fleetwood left-back Amari’i Bell
- Credit: Richard Blaxall/Focus Images Ltd
Norwich City face competition from two of their Championship rivals for the signature of Fleetwood left-back Amari'i Bell this summer.
City were reportedly monitoring the 23-year-old's progress with his League One side, as he is entering the final year of his contract and set to be available for around £1million.
However, the Blackpool Gazette report that the defender's former club Birmingham City and big-spending Aston Villa are also keen on one of the stars of Fleetwood's impressive season, which ended in play-off semi-final defeat to Bradford.
Norwich are in need of a left-back, with only 22-year-old Harry Toffolo on the books in that position and a deal to bring Ajax loanee Mitchell Dijks back permanently likely to be too expensive.
The Burton-born full-back made 53 appearances in all competitions last season, scoring three goals, to take his total to 104 games since being released by Birmingham two years ago.
Bell grew up in Birmingham and joined the Blues academy from Solihull Moors as a 17-year-old but only made one senior appearance, in a Championship match against Leicester in January 2014.
That was after a successful loan spell with Nuneaton and was followed by another Conference loan with Kidderminster, earning him a move to League One side Swindon in 2014-15.
However, Bell lost his place to Norwich youngster Harry Toffolo, who was also on loan with the Robins and started just seven games so finished the season elsewhere in the third tier, starting six games for Gillingham.
Birmingham then opted not to activate a one-year option in Bell's contract but he has found his feet with Fleetwood and has been a shining light for Uwe Rosler's side.
- 1 Massive care village and research park planned for edge of Norwich
- 2 Travellers set up 'unauthorised' camp in popular park
- 3 Mods and rockers taking over Norfolk town for classic bike and scooter meet
- 4 Large aircraft in shape of whale spotted above Norfolk
- 5 Why is Norfolk not introducing a hosepipe ban?
- 6 Dash cams help police prosecute 400 drivers in a year
- 7 Warning to pet owners after chocolate dumped in seaside village
- 8 'Risk of injury' - Aldi recalls product due to safety fears
- 9 'I'm sorry' - Woman behind cancelled festival offers customers £100,000
- 10 Can you spot yourself in the Classic Ibiza crowd at Blickling?