Norwich City team news: Nelson Oliveira set to step up injury return
- Credit: Paul Chesterton/Focus Images Ltd
Nelson Oliveira faces a make-or-break spell in his recovery from a foot injury to feature in Norwich City's Championship run-in.
Alex Neil confirmed at Colney on Friday in-form striker Oliveira is now back in light training but will not be considered for Saturday's key trip to Sheffield Wednesday. Youssouf Mulumbu (thigh) and Graham Dorrans (knee) should also return for the final push.
'All three are not far away,' said Neil. 'Nelson has a bone issue with his foot. It is one of those where we are cranking up his work and assessing how quickly it has healed. The next few days are going to be crucial. We are a good point now where we are pain-free with him and we are hoping he can go out and start building up fitness.
'It is one of those where if he suffers a negative reaction that clearly is not good news but so far it seems to heading in the right direction. He is on the grass, we have done a lot of non-load bearing stuff in the swimming pool and using the gravity free running machines. Now it is a case of stepping it up.'
Neil reported no fresh injury worries, which included the midweek Premier League International Cup romp against Dinamo Zagreb II for a development side that featured the likes of Josh Murphy, James Maddison and Kyle Lafferty.
You may also want to watch:
'It was good for some of our lads who had not played as many minutes as they would like. I thought it was great,' said Neil, who was at Carrow Road to see City win 6-0 to seal a semi-final against Sunderland. 'The senior boys are always under consideration. The pleasing thing is we have 18, 19, 20 capable of coming into our team but it is based on a crucial time of the season and really, one, who can handle the pressure and, two, who has that little bit of experience and, three, who I feel is capable of winning this weekend's match for us.'
- 1 Body found at Mousehold Heath there for 'considerable amount of time'
- 2 Church with 'features to get excited about' for sale for £80,000
- 3 Inquest hears sister of Hannah Witheridge died while pregnant
- 4 'They're blaming me' - Social housing tenant angry over state of flat
- 5 Family demands answers after 91-year-old dies weighing four stone
- 6 More storms ahead as flood warnings remain in place
- 7 Met office issue weather warnings for thunderstorms in parts of Norfolk
- 8 Cannabis stash worth about £2000 found hidden in home
- 9 Man 'helping police with inquiries' in search for missing woman
- 10 'Amazing' - Joy as port welcomes maiden call of luxury cruise ship