Norwich City target Ola Toivonen makes PSV return
- Credit: AP
Norwich transfer target Ola Toivonen now has until the end of the week to decide on a prospective Carrow Road switch, according to reports in Holland.
PSV Eindhoven's technical director Marcel Brands confirmed prior to the weekend Norwich had met the club's asking price for the Swedish international who has one year left on his current contract.
Toivonen, however, re-joined his PSV team mates yesterday for pre-season training after Brands had warned the 27-year-old he could be frozen out if he does not resolve his future in the current transfer window.
PSV have already bolstered their squad in recent days with a multi-million pound deal for exciting Dutch Under-21 youngster Adam Maher. The attacking midfielder is widely tipped to be Toivonen's longer term replacement, with the Swede also linked with Norwich's Premier League rivals Fulham and West Brom.
Dutch football site, elfvoetbal, claim Toivonen had yet to open talks with the Canaries over personal terms but the midfielder has previously indicated he will not sign a fresh deal with PSV.
You may also want to watch:
The former European Cup winners have already offloaded Erik Pieters to Stoke and Dries Mertens to Napoli during this close season trading window.
City chief Chris Hughton sought to distance the Canaries from an imminent deal for Toivonen when he unveiled the club's record signing Ricky van Wolfswinkel.
- 1 'Vindicated at last' - Pension compensation on the horizon for WASPI women
- 2 Police called to troublespot Norwich hotel 324 times in two years
- 3 Church with 'features to get excited about' for sale for £80,000
- 4 The best restaurant in Norfolk for a romantic date revealed
- 5 New 20mph speed cameras to tackle NDR rat-runners
- 6 Body found at Mousehold Heath there for 'considerable amount of time'
- 7 Police search undergrowth as man arrested for murder of missing woman
- 8 Norfolk Day 2021: Your must-have guide to all events
- 9 Man in 40s airlifted to hospital after suffering medical emergency
- 10 Former City skipper a frontrunner for Swansea job
'He is a player we have shown interest in. But I have to say he is one of a few,' he said. 'Some of the reports that you will hear will have a little bit of substance to them, some are far off the mark but you learn in this game that until there is a done deal not to take anything for granted.'
Meanwhile, Maher's international team mate Leroy Fer is another player who has been touted for a switch to the English top flight.
The midfielder's agent, Rob Jansen, called speculation he was set for a Carrow Road medical earlier this week 'premature' but Fer is expected to leave FC Twente this summer.
The 23-year-old used his personal Twitter account yesterday to reiterate his future is set to be resolved next week on his return from holiday in Bali. Fer was close to sealing a reported £8.6m move to Everton in the January window before that deal collapsed.