Norwich City talisman Wes Hoolahan an injury doubt for Ireland’s crucial clash against Serbia
- Credit: PA
Wes Hoolahan is a doubt for the Republic of Ireland's crucial World Cup qualifying Group D clash against Serbia on Tuesday night.
The 35-year-old is suffering with tightness in his groin but it is unclear at this stage whether the injury is likely to keep him out of Norwich City's Championship clash at home to Birmingham City on Saturday.
Ireland boss Martin O'Neill was heavily criticised after leaving Hoolahan out against Georgia during a 1-1 draw in Tbilisi.
The Norwich City veteran has 40 caps and is often talked about as still being the creative driving force for both the Canaries and his country.
However, O'Neill has often left Hoolahan out of crucial games preferring to utilise Hoolahan against lesser sides that tend to sit back and defend against the Irish.
Ireland are currently second in Group D on 13 points after seven games, two points behind leaders Serbia. Only the winners of each group are guaranteed qualification for Russia next year with the second-placed sides facing a play-off.
- 1 M&S to close 32 stores as part of move away from town centres
- 2 Every household in the UK to get £400 to help with rising energy bills
- 3 Man dies of collapsed lung after 'busy' hospital meant x-ray was missed
- 4 Farmer says cousin's wedding venue will bring 'criminal activity'
- 5 WATCH: 'Unplayable' delivery from Suffolk bowler goes viral
- 6 Norfolk garden centre wins 27th gold medal at Chelsea Flower Show
- 7 'It is a cash cow' - vicar's warning after being slapped with parking fine
- 8 Where you can see the Red Arrows over Norfolk this weekend
- 9 Major road to close for resurfacing works costing £81,000
- 10 The best places to eat in north Norfolk according to The Good Food Guide