Norwich City striker Luciano Becchio faces injury lay-off at Rotherham United
- Credit: Richard Calver/Focus Images Ltd
Luciano Becchio faces a race for fitness to make another Rotherham United appearance this year, after injury struck over the international break.
The 30-year-old Argentine initially seemed to suggest he would be out of action for the rest of 2014 with a broken ankle, following his early Monday morning post on Twitter: 'I want to say that I've broken my ankle and I'll be out around 3 months but I'll be back more strong...'
However Rotherham manager Steve Evans moved to allay fears Becchio, who joined on loan from Norwich on the summer transfer window's deadline day until January 1, would be sidelined until weeks after the end of his initial spell in Yorkshire.
'Regretfully Luciano will be out injured for at least six weeks with a fractured heel,' said Evans. 'He picked up this injury in a behind closed door match, at a point when no player was near him and he twisted to make a run in the opposite direction.
'The player was X-rayed straight after the match, which showed no damage. But a further scan on Friday morning diagnosed the hairline fracture. Our dialogue with Norwich City in relation to the player will continue to ensure we get the player back playing at the earliest opportunity.'
• Watch the latest edition of Mustard TV's Norwich City fanzine, Three Up Front
Becchio, whose current deal at Carrow Road ends in the summer, was not permitted to play in Rotherham's visit to his parent club ahead of the start to the current international break.
He will also miss a reunion with his former club Leeds United who visit New York Stadium on Friday night.
- 1 Norfolk village named among poshest places to live in the UK
- 2 Couple explores Norfolk homes in Escape to the Country
- 3 What is this mystery tower that has sprung up in Norwich?
- 4 'Fantastic, loving, cheeky' 19-year-old killed in motorbike crash
- 5 'Once in a lifetime catch' - man lands monster fish in Norfolk
- 6 Drunk student crashed into hotel wall after drinking tequilas
- 7 MAPPED: Where thousands of homes could be built in north Norfolk
- 8 'Ghetto' fears raised over scheme for 725 new homes
- 9 Pub landlord threatened to kill man he chased through streets with axe
- 10 Which Norfolk hospital has the longest ambulance handovers?
The striker has made 16 appearances for City since his arrival in January 2013 – 14 of those from the substitutes' bench – without scoring a goal.
But things had been going better since his move north, where Becchio had two goals from his last three appearances.
Ironically, after Rotherham's Carrow Road draw manager Steve Evans was hoping a strict training regime over the international break would see Becchio hit full fitness over the coming months.
• Follow Michael Bailey on Twitter @michaeljbailey