Norwich City striker Kyle Lafferty’s Leeds exit talk is premature
- Credit: PA
Norwich City striker Kyle Lafferty is not poised to sever his ties at Carrow Road and join Championship club Leeds United, with talks still at an exploratory stage.
Lafferty used his personal Twitter account to dismiss mounting weekend speculation, fanned by Whites' chief Steve Evans, who revealed he had made fresh contact with the Canaries' top brass.
City knocked back a loan enquiry from Leeds for the Northern Ireland international prior to November's emergency deadline, and the Canaries' stated position regarding the striker's future has not changed.
Evans is a confirmed admirer of the 28-year-old, who has made one Premier League appearance for Norwich this season, but there has only been initial contact from the Elland Road hierarchy in recent days. Lafferty claimed he was 'overwhelmed' by reported interest from Leeds, but the out-of-favour frontman played down claims of an imminent move to Yorkshire.
He tweeted: 'At the moment I am still a Norwich City player and I will continue to work hard and try and force my way into the team. I will train and concentrate on our FA Cup match against Man City on Saturday. I am overwhelmed at the interest from Leeds United as I understand how passionate the club and their fans are.'
You may also want to watch:
Lafferty is desperate to secure regular club football, ahead of his country's European Championship bow in the summer, but Alex Neil made it clear prior to the window opening potential departures will hinge on attracting fresh blood.
- 1 'It was as if Covid didn't exist' - Latitude-goers report positive tests
- 2 Tributes to popular entertainer after death following tragic accident
- 3 'Vindicated at last' - Pension compensation on the horizon for WASPI women
- 4 Sneak peek inside first £2.7m luxury mansion for sale
- 5 Victoria Hall murder: Suffolk strangler Steve Wright reportedly arrested
- 6 New landlords relaunch pub with three-course dog menu
- 7 Woman in 30s suffers head injuries in violent attack by two girls
- 8 Plot of gold? Land up for sale for £750,000
- 9 Neighbours' shock as man's body found in flat weeks after he died
- 10 Fly-tippers dumped dead relative's rubbish – just half a mile from recycling centre